Cushings disease
Welcome, Guest
Dogs For Sale

Please login to add/view friends online.

Quick Dog Breed Selector:
Quick Traffic Stats:
Visitors Online: 1,402
Today's Visits: 47,446
Yesterday's Visits: 61,080

Cushings Disease

Help, My Dog's Been Diagnosed With Cushing's Disease

Cushing's disease, more correctly known as hyperadrenocorticism is caused when the adrenal glands produce too much glucocorticoid, a natural steroid hormone. This overproduction can occur when the adrenal glands themselves are not functioning properly or when the pituitary gland overproduces the compound ACTH or adrenocorticotropic hormone, which in turn overstimulates the adrenal glands to produce the glucocorticiod. The adrenal gland malfunctioning type of Cushing's disease only occurs in about 20% of diagnosed cases with the pituitary overproduction of ACTH making up the rest of the 80%. Regardless of which of the two causes occurs, the general symptoms will be the same although the treatment options will be different. [...]

Cushing's Disease In Older Horses

Cushing's disease is one of the few disease found in horses that is very rarely seen in horses under twenty years of age. Any breed of horse can develop Cushing's disease however it is most prone in Morgan horses and crosses with Morgans. Mares, geldings and stallions are equally at risk for developing the condition and both working horses as well as pleasure horses seem have about the same odds for Cushing's disease.The first signs of Cushing's disease are usually noted in the coat. The horse will retain or develop a thick, winter like coat that does not shed, even in the warm summer months. Typically the long, thick hair will be curly or wavy in appearance and will be dull and much longer than the winter hair the horse would have normally grown. [...]

© Copyright 2003-2018 (an OffLeashMedia Company)

Cushings disease - Acquired Disorders - Health - Dogs - Articles
Horses Cats