ok i initially heard that chocolate was like really really bad for dogs but my dad told me today that it wasnt and it was ok to feed dogs chocolate he said that that was just wat everyone was saying. so whats the deal is it or is it not harmful to dogs? i still think it is but yea.... thank you -KELLY
my friends granny's dog ate M&M's all his life and it never affected him. He died in 2001 and he was like 14 or 15 years old. I wouldn't do it personally. I don't give my dog ANY type of sugar either. I'm paranoid
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine. Baking chocolate is the worst because it contains large amounts. It causes vomiting, diarrhea,seizures and rappid beating of the heart. If a dog eats a large amount of chocolate at once it could result in heart failure, coma or even death. The severity of the reaction has alot to do with the size of the dog and the amount and type of chocolate it has ingested. If your dog gets in to and eats chocolate call you veterinarian ASAP. Bottom line DO NOT FEED DOGS CHOCOLATE.
I agree with Vettec. I always was unsure about this too until I was watching an episode of emergency vet on animal planet. The doctor was treating a womans dog that had gotten into an easter basket. Her dog managed to get through it without any serious problems but the doctor did say that he's had a dog die in his care from ingesting chocolate. He said it's a big NO NO.
Someone forgot to tell my first Yellow Lab that chocolate is bad for dogs. She once ate all of my freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. They were the big ones, as I used an ice cream scooper to make them, instead of the usual teaspoon.
The batch made 36 jumbo cookies, I didn't have enough racks to cool them on, so I cleaned off the kitchen table (formica top) and put the 3 dozen cookies on there to cool.
Then I went outside to work in the yard, leaving Blondie in the house. To my horror, when I came inside to check on the cookies, they were gone. She must have stood on her back legs to reach them. The only remnants of cookies left were in the center of the table, where she couldn't reach the entire cookie. All of those had either tooth prints or nail prints in them.
Blondie didn't get sick, but I wouldn't recommend trying that on purpose. She lived to be 15 years and was very healthy.
my old golden mix ate a 1 lb bag of nestle chocolate chips. he threw up and got the jitters but that was it. scout eats m&m's all the time. when she hears the m&m bag rustling she comes running for some. she loves them, but not the peanut ones.