The reason more and more people are wanting a Designer Mutt is numerous. They want a healthier animal and like Plants or Animals, Hybrids are usually more vigorous. People wouldn't think of ever buying a tomato plant or rose plant that wasn't hybrid. Farmers would never buy corn seed that wasn't hybrid. They like hybrid cattle for the feed lot. Most sows and beef cows are hybrid in the commercial herds. The pet buyers are now coming on board. Also they don't want just a run of the mill pet, they want a unique pet bred the way they want it. Bred to order to fit their family. If they want a big healthy smart dog that doesn't shed they will probably look for a Labradoodle or a Goldendoodle. If they want a smaller version of that kind they may look for a Coc a poo. If they want a real small one they may look for a yorkie poo or a schnorkie. The Lhasa poo is also very popular.
I don't think they are a troll. They joined in July and have a few posts under their belt.
It just seems like the OP cut/pasted an article here. The way it's written, you can tell it's an article. I think the OP asked the question of "Why buy a designer dog" and then gave an exemplary answer, even if it was a magazine article.
The only thing I don't agree with on this post is the word 'designer' - which, since that is a 'media related' word - would have been exactly what any media article would have referred to them as.
Cant't a person go to the Animal Shelter and get a "designer mutt"? Also, can someone tell me what a puggle is and what a maltiwawa is. I saw some for sell for $350. Why would someone pay that much for mixed breed<
It's not a garrentee that a Goldendoodle or a Labradoodle will not shed. As for crossing being healthier it is all depending on genitics. if you take a poodle with HD and genitically blind and cross it with a lab with the same problems chance are the puppies will have those problem. There are advantages in both purebred and crossbreeds when it comes to health issues.
I know i have better chance than most of finding ANY type of healthy dog. cause i am educated, and informed. I know have a better chance of finding a purebreed dog with instinct to work. I know i have better chance on getting the temperment i want with purebreed. I am not against designer dogs. I do not get your plight to convinecing everyone how great designer dogs are. They have there fans and there purpose. Why do you care if some do not want or recongize the qualities that you like in these dogs.
*edit* I would also like to add. the word chance and healthy should not be in the same sentence. Picking a dog is not like a pair of shoes. I leave nothing to chance. I know what i am buying. I don't buy dogs, because they are cute. I buy them cause they are tempermently and health wise sound animals. you ever heard a farmer buy a cow cause it was cute. There is a little more science involved in breeding livestock than there is pets. that is sad but it is true.
***Edited By: gunny on 11/25/2004 4:19:52 PM*** Reason: grammar error
unique breeds? designer dogs are just as common as a lab now. buying a dog for the sole fact that is unique is a horrible way to pet shop. that is kind of material don't you think. " I like this dog cause if it's rareity" dogs are not noveltiy. if you want something unique collect civil war artifacts
I'm watching the National Dog Show right now. It makes me cry to see some purebreds so perfected. The Standard poodle from Australia was alluring and easily the finest one that I have ever seen. The thought of someone mixing such finely bred animals to make mongrels makes me feel ill...
Hmm, and I wonder why someone would want to bring more mixed breeds into the world when 75% are mutts in shelters? I don't get it. You can get perfectly healthy dogs from shelters, rescues, and adoption centers. Some purebred dogs can have genetic problems just as bad as mutts. It's all about genetics. People say they like designer mutts better from experience, when they don't know that there can be some screwed up just as bad as some purebreds. I don't understand why people want to cross two totally different breeds. You'll never make a dog that's "hypo-allergenic" it's a myth, and you'll never make a dog that doesn't shed, EVERY animal loses their hair. =)
I am not against designer dogs. I think they do serve a purpose. Dogs have always been crossed for a specific funstion. designer dogs function seems to be soley companionship. The whole non-shedding guide dog got canned in the early 80's. Maybe some of the marketing is mis-leading. What i don't get in comonscents tring to market the dogs as "better than purebreeds" I am not in the buisness having my dogs as just pets. they have jobs. that they need to preform and preform well.
Commoncents - I don't think you will find anyone as educated as I on 'designer' dogs who is regularly on this board. With that in mind - let me clear a few t hings up:
1) Cross breds are NOT healtheir (in ratio) than a pure bred. It is all about genetics. Hybrid vigor is a lame sales term that is used by bad breeders. If you continuously take 2 healthy pure breds (separate breeds to make a cross), breed them, get healthy puppies and then take 2 unhealthy pure breds (of the same breed) and breed them and get a litter of puppies - then of course one could say that the crosses were healthier than the pures - look at the parents. However, as I said - IN RATIO - crosses are NOT healthier than pures. Not today, not tomorrow, never. On the other hand, pures are no more healthier than crosses. One is not better than the other - they equally have chances of inheriting problems from their parents, regardless of breed.
2) If you really are into crosses - DO NOT come in acting like they are better than pures in any way. You wouldn't want the pure bred owners doing that to you - so why put them on the defense? Their own human nature will instantly make them refute what you say.
3) Be open minded enough to listen to the pure bred owners - afterall, thats HOW our crosses get here.
4) This quote "You can get perfectly healthy dogs from shelters, rescues, and adoption centers." is not always true - I am living proof of that due to my experience with an adoption during the last month. I tired to adopt - and the man refused. I will not try to adopt again. It's much easier to just go buy from a breeder.
5) As soon as cross breed lovers can stop pushing themselves onto pure breed lovers, and instead, approach it with an 'all dogs are great' attitude, we'll all get along much better.
I LOVE DESIGNER DOGS! I have puggles , cock a poos and woodles as my own family pets. They are very cute, cuddly and VERY HEALTHY! It has been prooven and agreed upon by many vets that these designer dogs are much healthier dogs. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND PURCHASING A DESIGNER DOG!!! I LOVE MY BABIES!