Pet foods are specially formulated for individual animals’ needs. People food, by and large, is formulated to be yummy. The smartest pet owners leave the dog food in the bowl and the human food on the table, and their dog’s health and behavior constantly rewards them for it. Others play fast and loose with the people snacks, but there are some people foods that can make pets very sick. Avoid giving these foods to your dog in any quantity — and while you’re at it, be careful not to leave them where a sneaky Sam could get to them while your back is turned:
* Excessively rich or fatty foods can trigger pancreatitis (inflammatory disease of the pancreas) in pets. Pancreatitis is more common in dogs than cats and signs include vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea and inappetence.
* Raw or undercooked meat may contain bacteria such as Salmonella or E. Coli which, when consumed, can cause vomiting, diarrhea and inappetence and can be as dangerous for pets as it is for humans.
* Moldy foods may contain certain mycotoxins, which, if ingested, can cause tremors, shaking, or seizures.
* Chocolate can cause increased heart rate, tremors, excitation, depending on the type and the quantity ingested.
* Onions are bad for your breath but they can actually be harmful to dogs and cats. Pieces of raw onion, cooked onion or even onion powder can cause damage to red blood cells, which could result in anemia.
* Macadamia nuts can cause muscular weakness and tremors in dogs.
* While we’re at it: avocado can be deadly for birds.
* Ingestion of rising bread dough can be life threatening to dogs. The animal’s body heat will cause the dough to rise in the stomach. Alcohol is produced during the rising process and the dough may expand to several times its original size. Signs seen with bread dough ingestion include: severe abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting, incoordination and depression.
* Some types of grapes and raisins have been shown to cause kidney failure in dogs when eaten in quantity. The connection between grapes or raisins and kidney failure is unclear but is being studied closely in the veterinary community.
I have never heard of Salmon being bad for them. When Heidi had mange I fed her a food made for healthy skin and the main ingredient was Salmon. It was called Premium Edge Skin and Coat. You can look it up on the net. It has Salmon meal and fresh Salmon in it. She loved it but I hated it because it stinks. It smells like very fishy cat food.