but not all the time. Last week we rushed our 1yr old Bichon Frise to the hospital because he was actting EXTREMLY abnormal. Spinning in circles, briskfully walking the out linning of the room(s), fever, panting and vomiting. The vet admitted him overnight and he was released the following afternoon. Doc. said she heavily sedated him throughout the night and waited from 9:00am until 4:00 to see if he would come out of the frantic state he was in. She also said they found some type of toxin in his system but did not know what kind of toxin. Since he has been home after that horrable dramatic ordeal, he is extremely mellow, coughs and gags especially after barking, he shivers, not interested in eating or drinking, BUT when he is around other animals he acts perfectly normal and happy like his usual self. Someone please help me. I dont know if I should wait it out a little while longer, or take him back to the Doc. right away. My wallet is hurting after the first overnight stay.
Something here doesn't sound right? If there was some type of poisoning, the pet would be still there and hooked up to an IV, injections and monitoring. He may not be out of the woods yet. Second, if there are breathing problems I can't see a vet useing sedations??If hes sedated how can he come out of his frantic state? how would the Dr know??How do you find toxins in his system?A Vet may be able to recognise symptoms to being poisened. But how do you see toxins??? Yes but they can't pinpoint the exact toxin. just suspect.
some toxins release chemicals into the blood stream. Alcohol does it, so why not other toxins? They probably did a blood test and noticed certain things or chemicals were out of whack. If he ingested some sort of poison (likely a plant), the effects could linger for quite a while.