This snuck back up on me today. I am feeling quite sad because the last two litters I bred- well- they didn't happen; the mother didn't actually get pregnant. It is hard sometimes- you do the best you can, you study pedigrees, and study your girl and possible dogs, pick the one you feel is the best match in all regards, do all the work (and yes, it is lots of work sometimes) to do the breedings over the course of several days, and you get excited and dream about the puppies. And then, nothing. It is very disappointing. I've taken her to the vet and had every manner of test, but nothing is wrong with her, she just missed for no apparent reason. But anyhow, I am feeling quite down about it all over again. Guess I should not watch Animal Planet! Has anyone else here had this problem?
awwww. i remember when i was waiting for scout i was soo excited cause the breeder called me up and said she just mated the mom. then a few weeks later she wrote and said she wasnt pregnant. i actually cried cause i was sooo looking forward to my puppy. but i waited and the second time around was a success.
Well are you sending her out to be bred or not? The stress from travel can cause a bitches system to shut down, espcally ones who are not mellow about travel. As well as staying somewhere else at times.
Are you doing pegesterone to test the dates or letting the dogs decide?
And how old is the bitch? Has she had any litters yet to prove her fertility?
Thanks for the sympathy, I really appreciate it. Yes- impatience is really eating me- you get sooooo excited dreaming big dreams about those pups and it is quite a let-down.
To answer Icyhound's questions- she was bred on her third and fourth heats; she will be three in May. We suspected that travel might have upset her so tried with a dog I purchased for two reasons 1.)Gorgeous dog- I have shown him, but he has blown his coat so no more showing for a while.(sigh, and nationals is in April and Tom Coen is judging dogs, argh...) 2.)excellent crossfaulting with my bitch.
Nevertheless, even without shipping, she did not take.
She is not proven. We will be trying progesterone testing next heat. If she does not take I am likely to give up on her. Fortunately I will likely be able to lease a bitch, as my other one just wasn't "enough" to breed. Too weedy, now spayed. The downside there is I then have two non-productive bitches and eventually you run out of room. The spayed one I can place, but cannot part with my Hope-girl.
The dog has been collected and analysed, as well.
It is tough. I am really hoping that the progesterone testing works for us, but worry about stressing her by taking her in every day. Hmmm.