I'm getting a pup via Delta flight in from Il. The breeder says the pup doesn't need vaccs. for two more weeks. I wanted another opinion just to make sure. I definitely do not want to have to deal with a parvo strickened puppy.
IcyHound or someone who is equally knowledgeable, should I request to have the puppy vacc. again with DHLPP and corona prior to shipping or should I vacc. again right after shipping? Let me know if I need to clarify more on this. Thanks.
***Edited By: shelly71172 on 3/4/2005 7:11:50 AM*** Reason: add
puppy vaccines should be given at intervals of every 3-4 weeks up until their last vaccination at 4 months of age. read on the paperwork that comes with the puppy to see when its last shot was and count 3 - 4 weeks from there. giving extra vaccines will do no good. limiting contact, with other dogs and where other dogs have gone to the bathroom will protect your puppy from contracting any illnesses. you can start socializing your puppy after the third set of shots.
always take a new pup to the vet when you receive it. Don't always take a person word on shots. It want hurt the pup to be givin another shot now. Always better to be safe than sorry, retired vet tech.
yes, never take a persons word. the vet i worked for says it want hurt a pup if you give it another shot if it was givin the day before. I;ve been burnt before, it's was'nt parvo,but bad breeding. but i would just be safe.
not always true ,alot of states like georgia which i'm from ,you can buy the shots at afarm supply store. And just tell the vet you gave it a shot. Small country vets Will just check the pups temp an write the health cert . sorry but true!
I'd take the puppy to the vet when you get him but hold off on giving him his vaccinations for another week or two as the breeder said. Makes no sense to over vaccinate the puppy, if the breeder has provided you with careful records as to the shots and vet care. Ask her if she's the one who gae the shots or if the vet gave them. What breed of puppy is it? Some breeds are extremely sensitive to the leptospirosis (the L part of the DHLPP) vaccines. Scout is a vet tech too and gives sound advice as far as that goes.
As far as your other dog goes, as long as he is up to date on his own shots, and ther ehasn't been a parvovirus occurence at your house in more than a year, I'd start letting them interact right away.