Hi - I adopted a 3 month old from this site - you may have seen him - Charlie_ and got him monday. Tuesday night he got sick and it has turned out to be parvovirus. His prognosis right now is poor, and I am heartbroken, but hopeful. My question is, what problems can I expect if he beats the odds and survives? wondered if anyone knows -
I know it can be very bad. I have a friend who adopted a dog from the pound. Shortly after bringing the dog home and the kids got attached to it, the dog came down with parvo. They spent a fortune saving this dog, but he did live.
I have a Rhodisian Ridgeback, and we had him as a puppy the same time my mother in law gave us a puppy for my daughter. The puppy for my daughter started to get really distant and quit eating, which we found out was parvo. So we took our Rhodisian Ridgeback to the vet and he was given a shot and some meds. and he is now doing fine. However it was to late for my daughters dog, she did end up dying. So don't wait, get help as soon as possible.
I've had two dogs in my lifetime that had parvovirus (both after being vaccinated) and both survived. One was our doberman when I was a child, the other was a chow/lab mix. When we took the chow lab mix to the vet's office, he was so badly off that I was sure that would be the last time I'd ever see him. 24 hours later after being given fluids intravenously, he was 100x better, we took him home and still is surviving to this day (he's almost 10 years old now).
You have to keep the dog hydrated when treating parvovirus. IMHO intravenously works best, but obviously this will cost some money because it must be done at the vets office. It cost us $280 to take care of Ashir when he had parvo, but it was money well spent. Once they get past the initial worst part of the infection (which hopefully fluids intravenously will help them past), you have to be careful what you feed them because parvovirus attacks the lining of the intestines, and thus makes it harder for the dog to absorb water and nutrients from whatever goes in. This is why intravenous feeding is so important, because the nutrients go directly into the blood system and to the vital organs, without having to pass from the intestines to the bloodstream as is the normal route in digestion. With the doberman and iwth Ashir, we fed them 'meat' baby food, it was very expensive. Extremely easy to digest for their' battered intestines though, and we only fed it for 2 or 3 days. Gradually we weaned them both to canned food, then to back to dry kibble.
***Edited By: Minniyar on 3/10/2005 1:04:25 PM*** Reason: add
my first dog contracted parvo from where i worked. he came with me everyday and someone elses pup had it and died. i didnt know how serious it was at the time. my puppy was the first pup i had ever seen make it thru a case of parvo. all others we had treated before him had died. the doctor didnt even want to tell me it was parvo because of the unsuccessful rate we had treating the cases. i was at the clninc every night until after midnight with him. i would have slept there if i could have so he wouldnt have died all alone. the last night i was there he was so bad he could barely lift the tip of his tail to say hello. stuff ust ran out of his mouth and hiney with no control. i knew he was going to die. i drove home grabbed my stuff and was headed out the door when my dad stopped me. he more or less stopped me from going and spending the night. i cried all that night knowing the next day i would find him gone. i drove to work that morning with the sickest stomach. i almost didnt even want to go in when i got there. i walked in and the dr. that had been treating him looked at me and my heart jumped in my throat. all she said to me was i owe her breakfast. i asked what she meant and she said to go look at my dog. i ran downstairs to the isolation ward and there he was. he had chewed out his iv over night and was bouncing off the walls of his cage when he saw me. i was in total shock.....what a difference from just 12 hours before.
we just had a border collie pup in our office for the past week who also has parvo. on iv fluids, and a ton of injections two to three times a day that pup has survived and is supposed to be going home today.
survival rate depends on how aggressive you treat and how early you catch it. i hope your puppy makes it. best wishes.
My dog Punkin was a shelter dog who contracted parvo while in the shelter instead of treating her the shelter was going to have her pts. So I asked if I could take her home as a foster and treat her at home. The shelter agreed so the shelters vet sent her home with me with an IV in place and all the necessary fluids and antibiotics she would need. She was only 5 weeks old and very tiny but she was strong and she pulled through after 5 days of knocking on deaths door. After she recovered I adopted her and she's now a happy healthy 2 year old.
I have a male dobe that is a parvo survivor. I got him and his brother at 6 weeks old. It was hell but he survived. LOL and yes there is a degree of brain damage. Rusty is dumb as a post but he is my baby.
My friend's dog had parvo and he gave him penicillin shots for a week. He also poured childrens pedialite into his mouth for a few days (since he wouldn't drink or eat at that time). It actually worked!! He caught it early though. That was two years ago and he is still very healthy. You never know... he goes to the same vet I do and the vet said that for some reason it cured it. Worth a try!
I would not give any medicine like that unless you talk to a vet first. some breeds can handle certain meds and others cannot. Plus you should never give medication unless you know exactly what to do and have talked to a vet.
unfortunately Charlie didn't make it, despite agressive vet care. He got sick tues night and died thursday afternoon. The vet tested his blood and he did have antibodies from his vaccines, so no one really knows what happened:(
goldiegirl I am so very sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a pet you love so much. My family and I lost two this past year and we are still finding it hard to deal with. This is one of my favorite poems I just wanted to share it with you.
He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds, my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out to sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being -- by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him -- I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me. When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me--whenever, wherever--in case I need him. And I expect I will, as I always have. He's just my dog.
i have a mixed dog that i got at a shelter foster to adopt him and he went to go and get neutered and the lady that was bringing him bact to us leet him get in contact with other puppies that had parvo so of course he got he would not eat, drink, stayed in his cage. he was only 6 weeks at the time. he would not eat so i fed him some cooked rice and cooked hamburger and chicken broth and of course he ate that. well he is a year now and still as hyper as before and very healthy. I hope that your dog makes it. try feeding it the rice, hamburger, chicken broth