can anyone tell me anything about "greenies"? they had some in my vets office for sale. i was in a hurry ,but i should have asked about them. i have been told by some that they are not good to give to french bulldogs or any of the bull breeds because of choking issues. does anyone know anything about them?
i dont buy the greenies because the size i would need for my dogs they are too expensive for a 5 minute treat. but i have been given the small size ones as gifts for the dogs and they have done okay with them.
greenies are like rawhide are like booda bones, etc etc etc. anytine a chew thing is given, supervision os key. mine only get hollow marrow bones and kongs when i cant be here. everything else gets watched closely.
My 2 frenchies have had them before (supervised) I didn't see any problems, but not all dogs are the same. Stick to the stuff they can't actually injest (for frenchies) In Ozzys previous home, he got a raw hide knot stuck in his throat (even after I warned the owner) plus some in his stomach/He had surgery to remove them, and Leeza when I first brought her home she was chewing on a raw hide, she started to turn blue while chewing one, I did my own little himelic( how do you spell that) and the piece came out.(close call)and very scarey, I felt so stupid. I wish someone had warned me.
I have found that my guys really love the "bully sticks" or "bull pizzles". I only give greenies every now and then. Since both are young, eat good quality dry food, have their teeth brushed and reg. check-ups, I'm not that worried about tater or bad breath. I guess greenies may be off the list, just in case.
I agree in not leaving "treats" when I'm not with them. When I'm not home they have their kongs, wiggly-giggly ball, tennis balls, etc...nothing to actually eat.
The key with greenies is not to give "gulpers" the greenies as they can become a choking hazard and reportedly they turn into a real ooeey gooey lump. Greenies are meant to be completely chewed up and not swallowed in whole chunks. As someone else mentioned, never give your dogs any kind of chew treats if you are not there to supervise.
I do give all of mine raw femur bones as well and they do more for cleaning the teeth than anything else. Even though they are not a choking hazard...they are a fight instigator with my crew so they don't get them unsupervised either.
greenies is the best thing that has ever happened to me!!!! It keeps him quiet, in one place, and busy. i get Logan a bag of the biggest ones they have and give one to him when Im gone. He eats the stem, and when there is nothing to hold on to with his paws, he moves on to a new chew.
Ive never heard of it being a choking hazard, i guess if you dont give the appropriate size for your dog. Then i can see how it could be a hazard.
My vet gives one to Logan after a visit, like candy at a pediatrician's office. i love those things...
I LOVE greenies!! My babies absolutely love them. The drawback - talk about expensive. I have to have the Jumbo for Zeek, which are 9.50 for 4 of them! Anywho, I have never heard of them being a choking hazard, but can see why. I would love to give Zeek a huge femur bone, but they are SOOOO greasy. He is an inside dog and would get it everywhere. My mom has OCD with cleaning. She would have a fit.
I guess they could get choked on anything as far as that goes, but mine get sick on the greenies. Don't buy them anymore. Pigs ears are, I think, too greasy. Mine do well on the Lamb chewies. They really like those.
Both my Yorkie's get a Greenie each morning. They live for them. Actually we refer to Greenies as "Doggie Heroin" as they both go through the "Greenie ritual" of throwing it in the air and skipping around it sneaking up and jumping on it before ever getting down to eating it. Never had a problem with choking. Could choke on a peanut for that matter.
Thought you were talking about some illicit street drug...LOL..this is a PG-13 site...just giving you a hard time. How hard/soft is this product?? Not another drug reference,,,sorry. Sounds interesting...is there are product name, I would like to know more about it. Not to sound wise, but in this case what is a choking hazard?? Meant for smaller dogs?? Can big dogs crush it with their jaws?? Just curious...thanks.