Well, we had pups today. Our Jujube had a c-section (2nd time in two litters) and had 1 male and 1 female (both black) from our champion Sammy. She also had to be spayed at the same time because her uterus almost ruptured, and for her health, there was no other choice. We will keep the female no matter what. Juju is very sore and tired, but still being a great mother. The pups seem very healthy. We're happy and sad at the same time.
awww gto congrats on the new babies =) so sorry she had to be spayed at the same time though =( but if it is better for her in the long run then you made the right call. cant wait to see this batch of babies grow !!!! YAY
Thanks TJ and Scout1. Yeah, it was the right thing. She had 2 and 2 both litters and that just allows too much room for them to grow. If she produced more pups each litter, they might not have been so big. Her first litter was our Abba and Bitsy. Bitsy was big (6 oz.) and was delivered naturally, but Abba (4 oz.) would not come out. She had crowned, and then went back up. She was the 1st c-section pup. These two were the same sizes, 6 oz. and 4 oz. We were in the operating room again today for the c-section, and the same vet performed both. She showed us the uterus and you could see the spot that had almost ruptured. She recommended the spay and we agreed right away. We had basically decided on the c-section before today because we had Juju quickflashed (x-rayed) a few days ago, and had seen two, and the size. She did another quickflash today also. Gave her an Oxytocin (sp?) shot to give her one chance to deliver and nothing. Juju started delivering the one pup (biggest, breech) as she was going under and fighting the anesthesia. The vet had to push him back in, put her under quicker, and get it out. She (the vet) told us after that she probably would have ruptured if delivered naturally or had gone one more day. The near rupture was very obvious. You could see the glove through the spot so it was very thin there. Jujube has given us 3 females and 1 male in two breedings. We have a lady that has been waiting since last May for a male. She will have first pick for the new boy. All three females will be shown (Bitsy is with a handler now Abba is waiting for her sister to finish). All ready thinking of names for the new girl. Maybe "Jujyfruit" or "Jujuliscious" or maybe just "Daughter of Super Bitch".
Thats good news and sad news, but shes done wonderful stuff for your program it sounds like. I was thinking about Laven and wondering if her next litter will be as smooth and even if she is sectioned and spayed shes done great things for me and I appreciate her altered or fertile.
Momma Juju is doing a lot better. It took her a full day to get over the anesthesia. She goes out only to potty. She is again, a great mother.
We will be keeping her. We couldn't let our "Super Bitch" ... "Deammando Commando" ... "The Enforcer" go. Only time will tell how it will affect her position in the pack, but knowing her, not a bit.
We are keeping the female and have already come up with a name. "Juju's Jetta" (Jetta means black gem...not VW). She is small and not eating like her hoglet brother. She went to the vet today and was given fluids, put on an antibiotic and we are trying to supplement her. We can only get about 1/4 cc in her at a time.
Aww! I'm so glad you're keeping Jujube!! And I think "Jetta" is a cute name (not VW!) lol, although I will admit, that is what came to mind first. And it makes me happy to hear that Juju is doing well.
Fingers crossed!!! Keeping them all in my thoughts!