My Shepheard/Rottie mix has had back to back seizures on saturday and sunday, both lasting less than a minute and very mild. Both though were almost exactly 3 hours after my stepmother added Iams gravy to her food. Onyx (my dog) has had 2 previous seizures, the most recent one was 5 months ago and the one before that was over a year ago. Does anyone know of the Iams having similar effects on their pets or know of anyone having had this problem? Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
As your dog had a previous seizure condition before ever being given the Iams gravy, I have to wonder if your dog's physical condition is worsening on it's own, coincidentally after feedings, or if there really is something in the ingredients that is making a bad situation (seizures) worse.
A few people on the forums do use the iams gravy but I've personally never heard of seizures occuring in anyone's pets as a result.
I have a bottle of Beef flavored Iaams gravy in my fridge as we speak! My OEB does not like it, although my pugs dont mind it! Mia the OEB wont touch it at all! I think its filled with lots of chemicals, and I wouldnt give it again if you think it made your dog sick!!
I gave Logan Iams puppy gravy, and he had diarrhea for about 2 days. So I wouldnt use it again. As far seizures, you might want to bring the bottle to your vet and see which ingredients are most likely to cause seizure type reaction. Maybe Im wrong, but perhaps your dog wasnt having a seizure, perhaps Onyx went into anaphylactic shock. Which is a allergen induced, possibly even food induced.
I wondered the same thing , i gave mine pregnant dog Iams puppie food ,and put the IAMs for puppies gravy on it for her , thinking maybe she would eat it better , since i had to change over to feeding her puppie food . She didn't like it very much , leave it half eaten , then that next day , in the morning after feeding her Brkfast , her head was shaking , and she was panting , then her eyes rolled back in her head . lasted a few minutes , thought i was going to have to rush her to the vet . But she was fine . After i thought about it for a while , i stopped feeding her the gravy . Threw it away . She is fine and she hasn't had any kind of episode like that .
good luck , and throw it away . just some dogs can stomach all those chemicals , and some can't . It's all trial and error .
I gave Iams for puppies gravy to my puppy, and she didn't like it, wouldn't touch it. I threw it away. Some dogs have seizures for no apparent reason, contact your vet and see what he or she has to say. Good Luck.
I had a dog who went into anaphylactic shock after having her booster shots when she was 3 years old, and it's nothing like having a seizure. Her entire body started to swell up to the point that here eyes were swollen shut and she had lumps all over her body, as well as she was having trouble breathing. I had to rush her back to the vet, and entually she was OK, but it was definitely scary.
If the dog has had seizures in the past, I doubt the Iams gravy is the problem, and there is most likely an underlying medical condition that needs to be addressed.
***Edited By: harlee29 on 6/14/2005 5:27:17 PM*** Reason: add
Hi there, I tried feeding that to my pups and they wouldn't touch their food, normally they will eat anything. I then fed it to my 2 farm dogs who will eat anything and they wouldn't touch it. I don't recommend this to anyone, I wrote Iams and they asked what they can do. Well,I dont' know? They all hated it.
thanks for the postings. My Chessie was vomitting with diarrhea all day after her first dose of the IAMS poison. Like one of the other bulletin members, my baby eats ANYTHING...paper, plastic, rubber...she don't discriminate. But it took this junk to make her sick. I plan on notifying IAMS. I spoke with a coworker today about it and she consequently had a friend who the SAME DAY had her dog get obscenely sick from the gravy. Too coincidental for this company to at LEAST put a warning on the label!
***Edited By: gmtsu00 on 11/16/2005 9:52:45 PM*** Reason: spelling
For nearly 10 months in 2002 and early 2003, a PETA investigator worked undercover at Sinclair Research Center, a laboratory hired by Iams, and discovered a dark and sordid secret beneath the wholesome image of the dog- and cat-food manufacturer. Dogs had gone crazy because they were confined to barren steel cages and cement cells, dogs were left piled on a filthy paint-chipped floor after chunks of muscle had been hacked from their thighs, dogs were surgically debarked, and horribly sick dogs and cats were neglected and left in cages to suffer without any veterinary care.
Footage shows that Iams representatives toured the facility and witnessed dogs who were circling in their cells and sweltering in the summer heat. Iams knew the truth yet did nothing to protect the animals.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture investigated PETA's complaint and agreed that the laboratory had failed to provide veterinary care and pain relief to suffering animals, failed to provide animals with adequate space, and failed to train employees—along with nearly 40 other violations of the federal Animal Welfare Act. Sinclair Research Center paid a penalty of $33,000 for its violations.
After intense pressure from PETA and its supporters, Iams agreed to make the following significant changes in its testing program: Iams bowed to pressure and severed its ties with Sinclair Research Center. Iams ended all invasive and terminal experiments on dogs and cats. Iams agreed to begin conducting humane in-home tests for palatability studies. According to Iams, about 70 percent of the animals now in its tests reside at home with their families. In these studies, people volunteer their companion animals to participate in food and nutrition experiments from the comfort of their own homes. The human guardians can easily be trained to feed the animals and properly collect fecal and urine samples for laboratory analysis to determine the quality of the animal's food. "In-home" studies have been shown to work and have strong scientific support, as shown by the successful PetSci program, which was developed by Dr. Charles Abramson and Dr. Timothy Bowser of Oklahoma State University.
Even so, Iams still keeps up to 700 dogs and cats in its Dayton, Ohio, laboratory for non-invasive nutritional studies. They claim that this laboratory provides a decent environment for the animals, but they refuse to allow a PETA representative to see inside. Iams claims that some studies are too complex for in-home programs, but PETA urges Iams to collaborate with veterinary clinics for studies such as these. Veterinary clinics regularly see patients who suffer from ailments that a particular dog or cat food might help alleviate.
Iams has also refused to end invasive experiments on species other than dogs and cats. For one study, Iams gave Purdue University nearly $200,000 to conduct a two-year study in which experimenters taped the tails of mice to the tops of cages to keep their hind legs suspended in the air. This was done to cause muscular atrophy—the wasting away of muscle tissue. When PETA protested, the experiment was cut short.
Iams has also fought the release of information from a public university that had conducted a study funded by the company in which a painful disease was induced in dogs. What was Iams hiding?
Iams has made progress, but as an industry leader, it must send an even clearer message: No animal deserves the fate of those who remain in their laboratories. Safe, healthy cat and dog food does not require harming cats and dogs.
PETA continues to press Iams to ban conducting and funding invasive or terminal experiments on all species and to adopt 100 percent humane, non-invasive, and cage-free "in-home" testing, as many of Iams' compassionate competitors have done.
Until Iams agrees, we urge consumers to purchase dog and cat food from companies that do not test on animals. In the meantime, read about some other ways you can help the millions of animals every year who are abused and inadequately cared for?all in the name of research.