His dog food is either chicken or lamb, he gets 1/2 cup twice a day with a large spoon of green beans mixed in. I was told by a very knowledgeable friend who raises Irish Setters, that the green beans would fill him up not out.
When I am at the sink preparing vegies, or making dinner etc. Rocky sits right there waiting. I knew he couldn't have grapes, onions, or garlic, but he has had slices of both white and sweet potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, carrots, apples, peaches, mango's, tomatoes, he loves every single one of them.
He doesnt' care for strawberries, blueberries, bananas, celery, or broccoli but he loves cauliflower. He also loves cheese, we give him a piece of cheese when he has to take medicine. He loves it.He is allowed no table food, and knows he is not allowed to beg.
He has also had plain yogurt on the few times he has an upset tummy and a whole egg in his kibble about once every other week.
Grapes are not toxic The article says "THEY CAN BE" I wouldn't recommend them then, but my dogs' both eat them. They always have and they are fine. I don't give them handfuls, but they had them prior to that warning e-mail ever coming out. The most I guess they have had is maybe 8 or 10. They were never sick or ill in any way at all. I asked my vet. He said they can be toxic to some dogs. So it's not like they are to ALL dogs as someone stated. Like chocolate. My dogs have had an M&M too or two, no biggie.
mostly, my dogs eat dog food, meat and some fruit.
Do not hold to the advice of some of these very obvious short-sighted and irresponsible owners who give their dogs things they are not nor ever where meant to ingest--like grapes and chocolate. Just because you sit on your butt shoving M&M's down your throat does NOT mean your dog should be as well.
If things carry even a "potential" risk of harming your dog or even killing them, WHY take the risk at all? If we cared truly for our pets, we'd not take hazardous and careless risks at all.
Just because a dog may look cute eating this or that, or maybe they didn't drop dead from eating one or two, does NOT mean they should be voluntarily given at any time. That just shows the lack of education, responsibility and basic human logic.
To these owners, may I ask how many of them have had the privilege (sarcasm) to sitting there watching their dogs deteriorate rapidly to the extent of no longer able to hold anything down and vomiting bile up all over the place? Having to spend nights gently petting them crying your heart out as you give them IV drips from the vet in hopes of keeping them alive and praying to G-d to make them better again as they look up at you?
I have with my Rottweiler. We thought in the same pathetic and ill-education manner as many of you giving people here hazardous advice about lethal foods for dogs. He didn't show signs for years so we kept giving him the same crap thinking it was ok just like many of you until one day it all came to a violent end out of nowhere and oh so very, very fast.
Many spots still carry a slight staining from the bile to this day and always reminds me to never, EVER take unnecessary risks--no matter how harmless I think it is, or how cute the dog or how much it may want what I have. Veterinarians tell us to avoid those things for a reason. Maybe it's high time, some of you buy a damn clue, before you have the unfortunate experience I and many others have had and learn the hard way or end up causing someone else to cause great harm to their pets because of your blatant stupidity.
"YOKH" I have a question for you...I have heard that chocolate is bad for dogs from a lot of people. That's why this past Easter I freaked out because my German Shepherd got a hold of a chocolate egg. Just one of the tiny ones but still...I was never really told why though. I tried doing some research on it but sometimes the Internet can be deceiving, giving different reasons every page you visit. Also, have you ever heard of a vet telling someone to feed their dog apple slices to help them with weight loss? I had a Beagle once, a few years ago and she did gain a little too much weight after she got fixed and the vet told me to feed her apple slices at least once a day. I thought it was kind of weird but it was my vet and I took their advice.
Do not give your dogs grapes or raisins! Both can cause acute renal failure. Please speak to your veterinarian about what foods are appropriate for your pets and not someone who puts a variety of foods out and lets their dog decide or someone who decided a raw diet is better because they feel better about it. Talk to your vet, they are educated on this and they know the science and evidence behind this information!
My friend just had to put there 6 year old pitbull down because of sezeres. he got into chocolate when he was a year old and they where able to save him. Then he started shaking and having small sezeres here a there. Just a couple a year. As he got older they got worse and more often. When they finally had him put down he had three in one night and they were lasting 30 min and he did not come out of them very well. This was all because of him getting chocolate when he was a puppy. IT IS VERY BAD FOR THEM! DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOGS STUFF THAT IS BAD FOR THEM EVER.
Oh I think if Scout heard she was never allowed to have an M&M again she would die. She doesn't care for the peanut ones but the regular ones she loves.
For anyone, I think moderation is the key. 1 or 3 M&M's are not going to kill your dogs. Now a whole bag of chocolate chips, or a whole bag of Halloween candy might have some adverse affects on them. My golden mix once ate an entire bag of chocolate chips and spent the night vomiting it all over our rug and the next morning he was a total spaz, like he had a caffeine high. Our dog Thunder ate my son's chocolate Advent calendar candy one year and it acted like a diuretic and he peed gallons for a whole day. Had they been little dogs the side effects could have been much worse.
I now have 3 pugs having lost my first born Dec 22 2010. I know from them, dogs have different tastes. My Emmy, loves to eat. She will eat just about anything. Grapefruit & oranges are some of her favorites. The others will not touch them. None of mine will eat bananas. Nor do they like coffee, thank God! But, wine, well Emmy would like to share in that also if allowed. Emmy has a bit of a weight problem so the vet has recommended green beans instead of carrots as treats due to the lower calorie content. For those of you that have given frozen grapes, please try frozen peas instead. They are not harmful to the pets. I believe our pets like our attention more than the food we feed them if they are getting a balanced diet.
I just thought I'd add my bit of info and personal experience here. Grapes, onions, chocolate.. I knew about all of it. I always wondered if a little here and there would hurt (literally - a little) but never tried it. I was researching it and basically found that the REASON these are so bad in ANY amount is that their bodies cannot break it down as they should and so instead of getting rid of the toxins they build up over time. So, will 2 or 3 M&M's hurt your dog now? No. But in 5 years when your dog starts having seizure and you don't know why... think back to what choices you made. My lab, Lucy, snuck a bag of chocolate chips off the kitchen counter once when I was unpacking the groceries. She quietly took them to the basement where she ate them all and half the plastic bag. As soon as I found the bag I called the vet and they told me to pour a tablespoon of salt down her throat (outside) to make her throw up and that she would probably get diarrhea (which she did) and I should watch for neurological symptoms. Well, she did throw up and have diarrhea at the same time (trust me, not a pretty site) and I thought the worst was over... and then she start jerking and kicking. She'd bounce on her front paws and kick her back paws out like donkey kicks. Her head was jerking around... I gave her more salt and after a few minutes gave her a big bowl of water... she finally calmed down and the neurological symptoms went away. We only had her a month longer because she was too big for our little house and even now she's only 5 years old so who knows what kind of neuro symptoms she might encounter as she gets older. I guess what I am trying to say is - if you know that something is reported to be bad for dogs - JUST DON'T DO IT! It's not worth you seeing them wag their happy little tails for chocolate or grapes when they might be epileptic in 5 years because of it.
my beagle and rat terrier love all kinds of fruits and veggies. Carrots honeydew and watermelon is a favorite, they love a couple of organic almonds.... they even have a salad if I have a little ranch on there LOL .... pretty much anything as long as it is not dog food....LOL