A friend of mine received a call from a potencial buyer of her pup. She stated she has returned 2 so far because her vet said they had weak knees. These pups were shipped and the women did not pay for their return shipping. I advised my friend to not mess with this person. What do you think? Could this person be so unlucky to get 2 defected pups or is something else going on?
I would think it is possible, especially if she bought the puppies from the same breeder. Did that breeder have the proper testing done on their dogs prior to breeding them? I surely hope they have had their dogs spayed and neutered and aren't raising puppies from them anymore.
Has your friend had all the testings done on her breeders prior to raising the litter? If not, it's a potential for a big problem.
I think I would have my vet check out the puppy/dog that is being considered for the potiential buyer. This way she would have written proof of the health of the puppy that this person is wanting, I would also include a copy of this info from the vet to the buyer so there is no misunderstanding. Just a thought, but I would be weary of any one that is warning ahead that she has returned 2 previous dogs. If the purchase is through pics. and mail I would be less interested in dealing with her. Although I personally want to pick out all four legged family members ***But If she is returning because of proven health issues that is something any good breeder would understand and correct. Good Luck To you and your friend!!
Like another poster stated it could happen if the pups were from the same breeder and she has problems with that type of defect. I can see where the buyer would want another pup with good knees. I can't understand that she sent her another dog with the same problem. I guess I would have demanded a statement from the vet that this new pup I was getting had good knees so I didn't have go through that again and neither did the pup. That breeder must have all bad knee pups or she is a bit " off" in sending her another with bad knees, or this buyer is a bit " off " and nothing will satisfy her. I would tell your friend to go with her gut feeling and if she feels this buyer is a good home, sell her a pups but make sure her vet sends a letter with the pup that it has good knees etc OR say I'm sorry the pup has been sold.
Has this buyer been to your friends house to meet the puppies? I've refused to sell puppies to people in the past, just on gut feeling. I've met them and something didn't click and I simply told them the dogs aren't for sale.
Also, has your friend checked out all of the references that the woman sent to her, if she didn't meet her in person? Does this woman's vet or vets give her good references as to the type of care this gal provides her current pets?
I'd be leery to sell one of my much loved puppies to someone that I never met. No thanks, why doesn't she find a local buyer?
How did this gal find out about your friends puppies? Through friends? Perhaps your friend could check with whomever recommended the gal to the puppies.
I have seen alot of good replies here, first if the original breder replaced the first pup with another out of the same lines, its possible, though the woman is unlikely to give this information. Also you have the right to refuse to sell to anyone!, I have upset many people based on gut feelong, or I simply was not happy with the answers I received on their questionaire. There are also sue happy people sadly enough.....I agree with saying the pup is already sold, sounds like a risky deal to me.
About a year ago I got a lady looking at getting a puppy from me. She was on my waiting list for about a year before it ever came time to choose a puppy (I was only have 2-3 litters a year then). I got quite a bit of backround information on her and I felt satisfied that she was a decent person and a good home.
About 6 months into my waiting list and 6 months before she got to look at available puppies she informed me that she was considering getting into breeding. After a lot of questions being answered and about 3 months of talking I decided I would place a puppy with her on full registration (I place 95% of my puppies on spay/neuter contracts). She already had a male and female that were pets that she had a litter from about a year earlier. In the 3 months that we discussed full registration she got 2 more females - from different breeders, but the 1 breeder bred the other breeder's sire. About a month before she was able to choose a puppy from me she returned one of the puppies to her breeder claiming it had dermamyocitis.
Then she chose a puppy from me. About a month later she told me that she decided to rehome the dog that had the litter of puppies for her because she wasn't getting along with the puppies. I kind of started to get a ishy feeling at this time because she didn't even seem upset about it.
She got the puppy from me (keep in mind that we socialize our puppies EXTREMELY well and spend hours of one on one time with each puppy - we know our puppies inside and out) and 2 weeks later called me up to say it was deaf! I kind of freaked out because I couldn't figure out how that could happen. Being the nice person I am I just offered to replace the puppy (with an unrelated one) no questions asked because I felt bad. I'd never had to use my health guarantee before - and I'm very trusting. I did make her supply the vet reports.
When I got the puppy back and my vet started going over the vet reports I was disgusted. The puppy was not "naturally" deaf. She was deaf due to trama to ear drum from being punctured. When we looked at the lady's vet reports there were comments about the ears being red and what looked like dried blood in them.
We had started placing puppies out of our current litter and it was time for the "replacement puppy" to be choosen. We mentioned something to them about our vet's findings on the first puppy and the lady got VERY upset and starting saying that we were just trying to get out of replacing the faulty dog, started calling us names, ect... So we took the easy way out in order to avoid doing business with her again - we refunded her money.
About a month later I got a call from the breeder that she had returned the other puppy on. Come to find out, this was the second dog she had "returned" to them in about a year. The first dog was an older male that the breeder had sold with breeding rights. It was "returned" because it was a cryptorchid. The breeder had had it checked by her vet several times and her vet had never mentioned it to her, but she took the lady's word for it and let her keep him and gave her a replacement puppy (which was what the second pup was). When she returned the second puppy claiming it had dermamyocitis she also sent the older male with stating that she just couldn't keep him anymore. When her vet examined him, he had been neutered and her vet said that he distictly remembered their being two testicles. The female puppy that was returned did not have dermamyocitis - someone had plucked out all the fur around her eyes and nose. The breeder got my name somehow and called to ask what I had experienced with the lady.
In the past year I have followed this lady's website - she has bought and sold at least 6 other dogs from random breeders. I know of at least one more person that has had a dog returned for a made up reason. At least one of the other dogs was not supposed to be sold but returned to the breeder if she didn't want it - according to contract - and it was sold without the breeder's knowledge. She is breeding and in the last 6 months has sold all the puppies she was growing out for breeding and now has adult dogs that she purchased to breed instead.
This is kind of an off the wall story, but one I thought I would share. If the puppies that the lady your friend is speaking with we related I could see it happening (in which case the breeder shouldn't be breeding the dogs). But sometimes there are as many crackpots buying dogs as their are selling dogs... After a while - and getting burned a couple of times - you learn how to tell the nut cases from the good homes...
The breed is Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. After the women called again, She said she had a female 9 weeks old and now wants a male ( for pets,) my friend told her it would be nutered before it was shipped. than the women didn't want it....I guess that spoiled her plans.