OMG I am in tears. I took my little baby in to the vet today for a check up and he puked and spazzed out while we were there. She asked me to please leave him for a while wanted to do some x-rays on his throat to see if his esophagus(sp) had a problem. No probs there but after consulting the specialist found out he was having partial seizures also he is blind and it is caused by what ever is going on in his brain because his eyes are healthy but not communicating with the brain. They said I could wait but that it would only get worse and that they felt it was inhumane to let him go through this. They also said you know mom knows when something is wrong and that is why I have been mom since 2 weeks. The vet was so kind about it and in tears herself. I am torn. I have made the appointment for tomorrow but I don't want to do it. How will I get through this and know if I did the right thing?
Oh my! I am so so sorry. That is aweful. Do what you think is best. But really if your baby is going to suffer, do you want that for him? Sometimes we have to make these decisions (I know I have) so that our babies won't be suffering. I wish you the very best. Keep us informed on what happens. I know it's hard. Good luck.
been there and it is hard,b ut put yourself in his place- would you want to suffer like that?
the best thig would be to pts- most vets will let you be with the dog if you choose to. please don't feel guilty for the though of putting him to sleep think of how guilty you will feel everytime he seizes if you don't
Yep that is the one mom kept pushing away. My kids and husband are out of town and I just had to tell them the news. My 12yr old son is being more adult about it then me. He said mom just think you loved him like a mommy should for the last 4 weeks and he knows that. So at least you did your best and he knows his mommy loves him.OMG this is like losing a child. But I asked the vet if I can hold him while they do this in the morning. They told me of course. I know it will be the hardest thing I have ever had to do. My family all think I am nuts I guess you have to have a love for animals like I do to understand. And you all do so thanks.
I am not a breeder. I took him in from a family that should have never bred there dog. The mom just kept pushing him away. (she knew something was wrong). Of course the hillbilly that bred his dog and shouldn't have was going to drown him. Well everyone who knows me knows how much I love my dogs so my name was brought up and I got to love him and be his mommy. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to love this little fellow. I was going to get him healthy and find him a good home. Well last week we were pretty sure he was blind and my husband told me I should probably keep him. And now this. I hadn't even named him yet. But as of today thank you to the person who suggested Mason in one of my earlier posts. That is his name.
Ah thats to bad. Its a sad decision to make and do. You will become more attached if you wait. Take him out for a good walk, feed him some steak. Enjoy your last moments together, take some photos, so you don't forget him..
DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF,you have done everything you can for that poor puppy its a shame you got so attached and how could you not. At least he had a few weeks of nothing but love but he is not well and keeping him would be selfish only you know what to do now.I am glad im not in your shoes.Just know you have been through everything with him but what kind of life would he have. Good luck he was lucky to have you as long as he did.
Well thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have had many people today who have observed his behaviors and are not so sure this vet made the right diagnosis. Now I know you all think I might be grasping at straws but 3 people today feel I should have a second opinion before I put him to sleep. So I have decided to go tomorrow to another vet and if the answer is the same I will not put the poor little guy through a life of misery. But I just have a gut feeling I must do this before making such a big decision. He has been running all over my yard and house since he has been home and has not shown any sign of the so called partial seizure. Only after he eats grass or something else does he shake his head and vomit. Also when I pick him up when he is doing that he stops with a seizure that would not cause it to stop immediatly would it? Anyway this whole thing has been hard on me but I promised the little guy I would not put him through a life of hell and I would make the best decision for him not me. I just must be sure of his condition first. I also called the vet back to see what kind of test she ran and all she did was the xray of his throat and then tell a specialist over the phone her opinion. Please don't think I am a bad person or that I want to prolong this little guys life for my own benefit. I just want to make sure his time is now not just that a vet doesn't think it is right to raise a blind dog.