What do you think about a registry that would allow anybody with a mixed breed to show in the events put on by the registry or by clubs. The ability to breed litters and have those puppies as well registered with the registry to maybe some day develop a new breed. There are already many events that mixed breeds can compete in, obedience, agility, ect. With the possibility of new events to come. Just looking for thoughts and Ideas.. Thanx
Ok I see a few honest problems with this. First off, the current problem with mixed breed dogs already at the humane society. People make a big deal of approximately 25 percent of all dogs at humane societies being purebred, and tend to gloss over the fact that the other 75 percent are mixed breed dogs. So while any dog being in a shelter is a problem, there are as many as 3x as many mixed breed dogs in shelters already. Creating a breed registry that allows for breeding mixed breed dogs even more to me just creates an even bigger problem. Also, with the registry you describe as it is, it's like you are suggesting randomly breeding mixed breed dogs with each other to produce a new breed. I don't see how that would work at all. I don't see how this is good for dogs or dog owners. Nearly every breed that exists was created (or developed on it's own, in the case of ancient breeds) with a specific purpose in mind, be it herding, hunting, companionship, vermin killing, whatever. Is there a new need that needs to be filled by a dog breed that doesn't exist? I would use the labradoodle as an example, but even that mix is on shaky ground, as poodles would make perfectly good guide dogs on their own.
I have to wonder if this sort of registry would encourage more indiscriminate breeding of mixes..like would millions of people decide they want to create their own 'registered' breed like we are seeing now with the CKC? Would this registry perhaps only allow in adopted dogs (from rescues and shelters) and mixes that are being bred through a LEGITIMATE breeding program? Would this registry allow just anyone to become registered without any regard for the protection and safety of animals? The only thing I find good about this kind of registry is one's ability to allow a mixed breed to compete.
i don't think anything that would give people a reason to breed mix breed dogs is a good idea. agree with all the reasons above. and, how would you judge conformation in a mix??there couldn't be any standards.
The reason that mixed breeds become registered is because of the long run mix that has become its own breed. Also, the run of the new breed must have a determinable outcome of offspring and be very popular among owners. I guess I am not understanding the logic of this. I really don't see a reason to have a registered mutt. It seems to me that having a mixed breed registry make breeding mutts even more prevelant and allow for breeders to become even more indescriminate just to make money on registered mixes. I think that if you want a pet for the sake of having an animal in your home that a mutt would be able to provide those things and be able to function in events that are fun for dogs and owners. I just don't see what things you would want to do with a mutt that you wouldn't do with a registered dog. If one really wants to show dogs they should educate themselves on a particular breed and show registered dogs. There are a lot of breeds out there! I don't think it would be hard to find one that suited anyone.
i thought there already was a registry for mixed breeds. a few years ago i got some info on registering my chow mix. i wanted to be able to do obedience competitions with him. i never followed thru because the shows they had for the mixes were out towards the west coast, none here on the east coast. i would not condone the practice of breeding them. one of the stipulaions should be only allowing neutered and spayed mixes to be registered.
on the national geographic website under their labradoodle story there is a link for a mixed breed registry. it is a mixed breed club that allows people to regiter their mutts and show them in all types of competitions except conformation. it also says they must be neitered. i knew i had checked this out years ago. try this link http://members.tripod.com/mbdca/