I didn't find anything bad about Greenies either. Plenty about how it isn't really a good idea to feed bones, though...
One time I got mine a couple of raw bones from the carneceria. I thought I was doing something good. I found throw up with long, sharp shards of bone in it, like spikes. These would most definitely cut your foot of you stepped on them and I can't imagine how it must have felt to puke them up.
They're VERY high in calories, have been known to cause deathly choking problems in dogs and have only fillers and stuff for ingredients. Not nutritious at all.
Ingredients: Processed wheat gluten, glycerin, natural flavor, powdered cellulose, monosodium phosphate, monoglycerides of edible fatty acids, magnesium stearate and chlorophyll. No artificial coloring, synthetic preservatives, and no plastics or other inert ingredients. Analysis: Min. Protein 52%, Min. Fat 4%, Max Fiber 5%, Max. Moisture 13%
Where's the MEAT!? Wheat gluten?
Ingredients to avoid
Wheat Gluten: AAFCO: The tough, viscid nitrogenous substance remaining when wheat is washed to remove the starch.
An inexpensive byproduct of human food processing with almost no nutritional value left, serves mostly as a binder.
I checked out all links. What I gather from all that is that Greenies are high in fat and have no nutrients. Unless my dog was overweight, it wouldn't bother me one bit to feed one every now and then (once a month, maybe). I know I have a piece of cake now and then or a candy bar. (And I am not overweight) Where the ingredients are fillers and not nourishing, even the wheat gluten (which I also read the link to) isn't said to be poisonous.
I can understand that they can be a choking hazard, as can anything a dogs chews-- a carrot, a stick, a raw bone. We just have to supervise when we give chew stuff. I believe I have a picture of the horrible spikes my dog threw up when we got the raw bone from the carneceria. I will try to find it. Though maybe raw bones for dogs with lesser bites, who wouldn't completely destroy it but just gnaw on it , would be okay... I'd watch though.
***Edited By: shinyblackpit on 8/3/2005 11:34:09 AM*** Reason: asdfasdfasdf
The forum cuts out what it considers curses. I use damn myself.
I also post on i-dog. Mafia was not cursing at you nor should you really take that as disrespect and rudeness. Blunt, sure.
I agree. I don't feed greenies becuase they are useless for the price, but for a treat, sure.
Lots of things can cause seziures, including vaccinations, frontline, heartworm preventitives, cleaners, and odd alergic reactions to meat products.
The warning is appreciated, but I think few use greenies as an every day staple to their dogs diets. I don't use them becuase I'm not intersted in spending 3 hours cleaning greenie out of my dogs coats.
Now to move on to fat... well bone marrow is incredably fattening. Plus, frankly, a dog must be brought up to speed on feeding raw. Many have poor digestive reactions the first times.
There is a contact admin option. You can see it when you respond to this post under the rules
IcyHound- Thankyou for expressing your opinion in a polite manner. You have my respect.
I have a dog that has seizures. I follow DoctorJ and am trying to eliminate ALL grains from her diet. That is why I would never feed Greenies. I also would never feed Greenies because raw bones are SO MUCH better for your dog and will clean the teeth better.
I too was recommended by a pet store salesman to get Greenies. Too bad that I didn't do my research before trying it out on my puppy, Hershey. Tessa is very right that Greenies are very bad for dogs. What she might not know is that greenies has caused numerous obstructions and even deaths in dogs. My puppy Hershey chewed a large Greenie up very quickly yesterday and ended up throwing some of it up. She doesn't feel that good right now. I never plan to give one again to her.
Raw meaty bones can cause choking and even death as well. I would never feed my dog any type of raw bone. I've seen too many come into the vet clinic with either pancreatitis from the fatty content (only to find out the animal was fed fatty bones) or a sharp piece of bone lodged in the intestine. I don't use greenies often, but since its free and she likes them why not give her a little treat? Like someone said, I have a piece of cake now and then. If they are bad for her of course I won't give them to her, but I need real proof.
If you don't think that dogs needing emergency surgery after eating greenies or dogs dying after eating greenies is proof enough just keep on feeding them to your dog. You might however feel sorry later if that happens to your puppy.