I am sorry there has to be so much bickering over this topic. I am also new to this site and was VERY excited to see this post to get a free greenie. I then have read about all the pros and cons that people have posted and I have made up MY OWN MIND as to whether or not to give this treat to my pets or not. I have decide not to just for my own and my pets sake. I don't know how anyone can force anyone to give their pets something if they don't want to. Why can't it be dropped??
Wow-whatever happened to the "treat others with respect" rule? Personally, I always like to read about both sides of an issue. Thank you Mafia, for sharing the offer. And thank you Mike for sharing the sad story about your dog. I would think everyone at this point could make up their mind about whether or not they want to give their dog greenies without attacking anyone.
Nice Ivy you managed to make this thread #100 :D What has been the longest thread?
To everyone else fussing... Opinions are like buttholes everybody has em', besides I like hearing what other people has to say. I really don't think TP has gotten that bad anyhow, I feel our mods do a great job :) Even if they won't bend the rules around me *sniff sniff, wink wink * LOL
I'm still waiting on my free Greenie too, I'll try my pooch out on it if they turn green like a alien then I gotta problem huh :) Then everyone one will hear how Zimus and Novia expelled Greenies.
***Edited By: BluHusky on 9/4/2005 10:36:16 PM*** Reason: I'm adding duh :D hahahahahahaaaaaa I love it
Ok, in this newsletter, we have the following happy announcements and we also have some warnings for you! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
We send out a warning when we believe that one of our fluffs has been harmed or hurt by a substance or product.
I've been hearing about the danger of a product called "Greenies" for some time now, and I believe that I almost lost my darling little Spunky Monkey early last spring, due to this product. Here is more on GOOGLE from several people whose dogs had either severe health problems or death. :(
And we have another reported death associated with greenies.:(
<Greenie Bone Warning
6/9/05: My little dog, Nickey, a 6 month old Maltese, has survived two surgeries this week and is now stable and recovering at the Vet hospital. After exploration, they found part of a "greenie" bone stuck in his esophagus.
The vets I spoke to this week are furious about this product. The product DOES NOT DISSOLVE if swallowed in chunks that cannot pass through their system. They have done numerous surgeries to remove them, especially from the intestines. This is the first that the Dallas surgeons have seen in the esophagus.
I wanted to share this with you and ask you to pass along this warning to any pet owner that you know and to keep it passing on. BAN THE GREENIES!! I know my little one will never see another greenie again.
After almost $5000 in vet bills since last Friday, this has been a very expensive lesson to learn. The worst part of course is that my little Nickey (only 6 months old) has suffered tremendously and will most likely develop other esophagus problems because of this.
He is not 'out-of-the-woods' yet so I ask that you say a prayer for him. This has been an extremely emotional week for him and for his Mommy.
I'm hoping to get this word out -- not to damage any one in particular -- but to prevent other pets and families from having to go thru this trauma. Deronda Elstrod
Greenie Bone Warning -- Update on Nickey
6/10/05: Update on Nickey... he passed away about 1:30 this morning. Many of you have asked more information and have said you would contact your vet -- please do -- please do not let Nickey's death be for nothing.
Word needs to get out that this 'greenie' product is not safe!! It may be good for the teeth & gums but it can be fatal as we all know now. Someone stated something about the warnings -- I did not see that -- I bought individual ones from a jar at the pet store. I also let him have them under supervision but when they are very slippery and it slips down their throat, I don't know what else I could have done. I like the thought of holding onto them but how could I have known?
As you might imagine, I am going through a tremendous amount of guilt about ever giving these to my dog. He has only had 2 whole ones. I wish I could take back one week!!
If your vet would like more information, my vet is a specialist at the Animal Diagnostic Clinic Hospital (Brad Hines, DMV Dipolmat) here in Dallas. The address is 4444 Trinity Mills Ste 202,Dallas TX 75287. The phone number is 972-267-8300.
He has removed several 'greenie' parts from dogs but from the intestines; this is the first he has seen in the esophagus -- which could become common for very small dogs. This is also the first death he has encountered as a result. I think large dogs are at risk also because they make very large sizes for them. They get very slippery while they are chewing on them and any movement can make them lose control and swallow it. According to the vets, they DO NOT dissolve in the body.
I will be contacting the Greenie company to tell them of what happened. My surgeon and vets are writing papers to submit to the Vet associations.
This is documentation on the dangers of these greenies. I have bought them for my three bichons several times but I will not take the risk again after reading this. ONE MISTAKE AND ITS ALL OVER FOR THE DOG. If anyone has questions they can call this vets office and I am sure they will be glad to tall you the situations they see with these greenies.
thanks for that link mafia. i havent got it yet, but i think others are still waiting too, so i wont panic yet. lol and i find it hard to believe that greenies are so dangerous when they sell them at my vets office.
I can't believe the arguments about GREENIES, I guess if you've never had to go through what I have or the other people on this site you could go get your popcorn or delete this thread, I have a better suggestion go to another site.
I have spent 12 weeks getting my dog healthy after choking on those "Death Treats" she had a feeding tube in for most of those 12 weeks trying to get her esophagus to heal from the damage it caused. It's not just a choking hazard please get that straight, watching them(as my husband & I were both doing) doesn't help!
We are one of the few lucky ones, we went through hell but she is doing much better, she may always have small problems but we hope for the best!
My own DVM is going in front of an Amimal Medical Board to protest this product..this is real!
My dog has only had 9-10 Greenies her whole life..terrible odds!
Good luck to those who continue feeding Greenies to their dogs, I wish you well.