I was looking though the paper today. In one of the adivise columes. It said that she had been talking to a freind who was an expert in something can't remember and am too lazy to go up stairs to get it.
Anyway they were talking about what kind of things were poisionis to dogs and chocolate came up.
They said something about the american human socitey poisin hotline in the article also.
Any way in all there searching they didn't find one instance where a dog had acually did from eating chocolate.
Anyway she said she know of a lot of people who fed milk chocolate to their dogs and nothing bad has happened.
So know she is looking to the public for help. She only wants people who have had first hand expericne from their very own pet or from an immedite family pet. Or from a vet who has treated and been able to not save a pet from consuming chocolate.
So I was wondering if anyone on here has actually ever known of a pet dieing from chocolate.
I know my cardigan corgi is always eating chocolate and she never gets sick.
Chocolate isn't toxic. Theobromine- a chemical found in varying degrees in chocolate- is WELL DOCUMENTED to be a toxic chemical to small animals. It's found in the Cocoa bean- and passed along into chocolate, caffienated beverages (atleast the ones the USA are used to), and cocoa mulch.
Milk (sweetened) chocolate has a very low theobromine part- as it doesn't actually have much of the cocoa bean in it (it's largely sugar). Dark chocolate is worse. Baker's- unsweetened chocolate- causes the most fatalities- as it's much purer and has a high level of theobromine.
I'm not dumb enough, nor do I know anyone dumb enough- to give their dogs chocolate. But my vet lost a dog to consumption of baker's chocolate last month. She's also treated dog's with toxic levels of theobromine from exposure to cocoa mulch and coffee grounds.
Honestly? It doesn't sound like the "researcher" knows how to find sources well. There are plenty of documented fatalites in veterinary medical journals and records.
And WTF does it matter? Chocolate has no nutritional value to a dog- why feed it too them? People have a choice whether they eat crap or not. Dogs don't. Carob is a very delicious "chocolate substitute" that's quite safe- if one feels some kind of need to give a dog something *chocolatey*. :)
Its not really about instant death. The damage can build up over a time period and/or lead to early organ failure and cancers. A large enough dose will eventually kill, but the animal will probably be diagnosed with an organ failure instead of poisoning from the actual drug.
My dad had a poodle growing up who ate a whole box of chocolates and got very sick....he said they had to pump her stomach..of course this was way back in the day so I'm not sure exactly what they did to her. She survived but was a very sick pup for a while he said.