I was just trying to find more information on Dalmatian diet. I read that onion kill dogs. They put it on the same list as chocolate. Has anyone else heard of this? I am wondering if it would cause the same reaction as chocolate. I am guilty of giving my Lhasa left over hamburger cooked with onions. YIKES!
I put this right up there with chocolate on the danger level. As in, you need to be watchful but not totally paranoid. A dog needs to eat about 5 or 10% of it's body weight to be in danger from eating chocolate. I've never heard of a dog getting sick from eating onions, apparently sulfides in the onions (even cooked ones) make it harder for oxygen to bond to the hemoglobin in the blood, so they can get anemic. 2 slices of onions a week (which is far more than I eat, i'm not big into onions) is supposedly enough to be dangerous, I have to suspect that is in a tiny dog like a chihuahua, as I found an actual report pn onion toxicity that says a single meal of 600 to 800 g of onions can be toxic, and since onions weigh only 8 to 450g, that'd be like your dog eating around 2 onions in one sitting. Here's the link to that report, which is a research paper and IMHO more trustworthy than anything else that I could find on the web. It is in .pdf form and requires adobe acrobat to read. http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vettech_0801.pdf?docID=349 Anyway in general, it seems to indicate that it takes a dog eating more than 0.5 percent of it's body weight in onions. That means that it takes a lot fewer onions than it does chocolate to be dangerous, but onions are more porous and less dense anyway. So.. how's this. If your dog gets into the trash and eats your onion pizza or the rest of the onions on your subway sandwich, watch for signs of abnormal behavior.
Me neither, until like 6 months ago. The only dangerous food I had ever heard of for dogs was chocolate, and IMHO it's not all that dangerous just becaues of the sheer amount of it a dog would have to eat to be toxic.
I am not really sure how toxic they are either. My 60lb. lab once ate a whole choclate cake that she sneaked from the table and she did not get sick. she was fine. I thinkl she got a sugar rush, but that was all. I think it has to be a very large amount of pure choclate. It is probably the same with onions.
My 12 pound mini wienie dog ate 1/2 pound of chocolate with no concequences. My bf in high school set a valentines heart on the couch and by the time we cought him there were only a few pieces left. Of course some of those were the filled chocolates.
our dachshund ate a whole FAMILY pack of easter eggs because our cousins "forgot" to put the lid on them It didn`t hurt her she was just plugged for 1 day. it didn`t hurt her. I don`t think a little bit of onions will hurt her Dachshund luvr
I have the book called "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" and it states in there that onions can be fatale to dogs along with chocolate. I read it not too long ago and my husband couldn't believe it.
Yeah aquatree, what the book failed to mention was that the amount of chocolate required for chocolate toxicity is just insane. I mean, I think if I sat down and ate 5 lbs of chocolate in 1 sitting, I'd be sick as well.
I have a 7 yr old soft-haired-wheaten terrier, who ate a one pound bag of chocolate that was in my mom's room...an hour later he was throwin it all up, i was asleep when this all happened...when i woke up i found brown lumpy stuff on the floor...i thought he had really bad diahrea or something...but he's fine now...n still loves chocolate more then ever!! lol!
what most of you are failing to mention is that, while it takes a LOT of chocolate to do true harm, ANY amount is "toxic." it just takes a lot to kill.
sure, it might take a couple pounds to kill a smaller dog, but even one pound (or less, depending on the type of chocolate) can do harm. same with onions. while a pet might not get seriously ill or die from a bite of onion, it still does some harm and should be avoided altogether.
a lot depends on the type of chocolate. baker's chocolate is much more lethal than any other kind, as it is more pure. also, anything with caffeine has the potential to kill dogs.