Well, I guess this is my final update on coopers condition. My vet called me this morning to tell me that Cooper past away last night.
I went to the dog pound today to tell me so they know to take even more precautions and they offered me part of the adoption fee back or I have 60 days to find another puppy. I told them I hadn't decided yet which to do. I really want a puppy and I really want to rescue a puppy but I am just scared that I'd pick another one with parvo and do this process again.
I'm gonna wait at least another week before getting another one. That'll give me 2 weeks of disinfecting everything since I did the day I found out he had parvo.
Should I chance it again and go with a dog pound or get one from a breeder? Which would you suggest? I can't really go to a rescue because most wont adopt to me because I have an amost 4 year old son (Birthday 8-20).
I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a pet. If it were me I would try again at the pound. There are so many wonderful animals that need good homes. Maybe try another shelter that is close to your home if you are not satisfied with the one close to you.
I so sorry to hear about your loss. I to lost a my baby Zoey to parvo. I only had her a couple of days at my house. And she was at the vets for four days. I was told I couldn't bring another puppy in the house for a least 6 months. I bleached everything and threw away blankets, toys, bedding, bowl etc. just to be on the safe side for our next puppy. I'm getting a puppy at the end of the year, but with all of it's shots. Please check with the vet before you bring another puppy home, I'd hate to have to see you go though this again.
I'm so very, very sorry. Sigh. I know how much it hurts. As I told you, I lost a Shelter pup to Distemper in early February, so I know the pain you're going though. I know it's not much consolation , but remeber that Cooper didn't die unwanted or unloved, and although it he wasn't with you long, I'm sure he knew he was loved.
You should check with your vet and see how long before it's afe to bring another dog into the home. I had to wait two months with Distemper. I know another dog cannot replace Cooper, but another one help ease the pain you feel and will help heal the hole in your heart.
Remember, too, that you and the vet did what you could for Cooper and I know it's not fair. He was jst a baby. I have tears in my eyes knowing what you're going though and remembering my own pup that was lost. Cooper is now free and without pain, and wunning in the grass with my little one at the Rainbow Brige until we both see them again.
Where at in Ohio? I live in Canton, Ohio. So sorry to hear the news. Please check with your vet before bringing another puppy home, my neighbor had a pup that got parvo and her vet told her if the pup should die she shouldn't get another one or have friends bring theirs over for a long time, I don't remember the time frame so please, please check wth your vet. I truly am very, very sorry for you. You did all that you could. Good Luck!
I'll probably wait a few months until I get another puppy. I'm love to have a long haired German Shepherd/ Newfoundland mix but haven't been able to find one since like ever. I met one I loved about 3 years ago and haven't been able to find that mix in the color/hair lenght that I want. Kinda looks like a Shiloh Shepherd. Here's my list of requirements for a puppy (well sorta) :)
Around 60 pounds (I'd prefer bigger but B/F says no)
Moderate Energy- I love to run and hike but also like them to lay around with me when I feel lazy. I also wanna train it in Agility.
Colors- Black/Tan, Dk. Brown, White (but just a little), All black, Golden (I love dark colored dogs)
Good with other animals and people.
I've always been interested in adopting a deaf dog even though I know they are alot of work to train.
that's my list. :) It's not too impossible to find a breed to fit it. I know it's hard to find a deaf dog that isn't white though.
**** I live in Mansfield
***Edited By: cavycritters on 8/8/2005 7:17:11 PM*** Reason: add