Todayn on Easter Sunday instead of 3 kids waking to The Easter bunny, we woke to the sounds of my oldest daughter screamimg. We had gotten our Patches a year ago and she was a hyper Jack russell.She loved to get into things and this led in part to her death. Between the hours of 2 am, when I came home from work, and 8 am when we found her, she had suffocated on a small chip bag she had found and could not get out of. We found her laying in the corner with the bag over her head and I waited for someone to wake her. She didnt...Be careful if you have small pets, I never dreamed something like this would happen. Now my question is, no other pet will ever replace her, but for my kids should we get another one? I miss her so.........
I am so sorry for your terrible loss. Getting another puppy soon is a fine idea. Be sure to adopt. Wait a maybe few weeks for mourning. That is appropriate. Then let your children be involved in the adoption process. Make sure they know that you aren't getting a "replacement" but moving on with life. You can still show much love and respect for your lost friend while bringing new joy and new friendship into your home. Again, I'm so sorry about what happened. You have my real sympathy. firstname.lastname@example.org
You poor things! My partner and I lost our 11 year old Boxer on 26 January this year. I disc in her back crumbled suddenly...we found out it was cancer. It too was very sudden...she was otherwise a very healthy dog with plenty of life. She was our baby as we don't yet have children. She left a huge whole in our home and lives. We now have a 4.5 month old Dalmatian. After 4 or 5 weeks of no one to love at home (we felt absolutely useless and meaningless), we couldn't wait any longer and just needed something to love. However, we also needed that 5 week period to mourn. I thought I would feel guilty about getting another puppy so soon after she died....but he has helped heal us in so many ways it's remarkable. Without getting him, I feel the grieving period would have taken a lot longer. I recommended waiting a while (month or two) and getting another puppy to love.
Be really careful with that one. There's a chance the pet will turn out to be perfect, but there's also a chance that it could be a disappointment to the kids and they might be even more sad. Sorry for the loss. I had that same kind of thing happen. My neice found my pet mouse dead in her box to her toys. He had been missing for weeks.
Sorry to hear about your pet. I would also wait a little while and then have the kids help you pick out a new pet. It will make them feel like they have part in the decision and hopefully that will help them get through the grief of their pet
That is so sad! I'm so sorry to hear about that. And on Easter! You probably should get another pet, but definetly not to soon. I think you should wait until your children suggest another dog so you know that they can stand it. ~volleyball_gal~
How sad for you all. I am so sorry. I think a little waiting time would be good. I sure appreciated the warning about bags as I have 5 kids. I was so worried about the chocolate also with Easter. I wondered if you all had been crate training or not after hearing your story. I have to watch my Faith as much as a small child around the house to avoid her getting hurt or into trouble. I can't imagine all the mischeif she could make overnight unmonitored and uncrated. I see what my cats get into overnight already and Faith could do a world of hurt on my house! I have found that books help with the loss of a pet with the children. You might see about getting some from the library. In time explaining about choking and how leaving things out is hazardous would be good, but not too soon. Guilt could be tremendous in a case like this. I would help the kids make something like a scrapbook so they can remember the dog and have something to look at. Then maybe this summer-- a puppy. Deepest sympathies to your family.
I am sorry about what happened to your baby. It is awful when the death of a family pet occurs. It seems worse on a holiday and even more so because it was so unexpected. I would wait a month or two and then begin your search. (((Big Hugs)))
What a horrible thing to wake up to, the kids must be so upset. Its a little quick to be thinking of getting another dog, but I guess it would keep your minds on the new dog. I hope because of this incident you will think of crate training, pets should never be left unsupervised at a young age. A crate will protect the dog when you can't.
what a freak accident, im very sorry. but ithink you should get anuther dog in time. it was about ayear before we even thought about getting another puppy when our lab died. just make sure your children have full say and are always included in the process. you have my deepest sympathy
I can totally sympathize. My 13 year old shih-tzu Sharla died two weeks ago when I ran over her in the drive way. She was deaf and couldn't hear the car coming. She never chose that spot to lie in the sun and I am devastated that I ran over her. She was my baby before I had kids and I miss her terribly. I too am faced with the decision of whether to get another dog or mourn alone. I have been looking, but I find that I am really looking to replace her, not just get another dog. I am thinking that it is too soon. My deepest sympathies...Good luck.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I've lost several older dogs over the last two years and have replaced all of them with younger, rescued dogs...I went from 3 to 7 and they are all spoiled rotten. Pets are part of our life. There will always be another one in need of a loving home.
So sorry about your loss. A new dog will not replace Patches, but it will be a new beginning and new experiences with a new dog for you and your children. And with time... you will love the new dog as well.