Zoey, my miniature dachshund, is only 5 months old and she has already had her fair share of a variety of human foods...(not my doing) My dad feeds her anything and everything, from milk chocolate, to chocolate ice cream, Ritz crackers, cookies, bread crust, ham lunch meat, potato chips, hamburger meat as well as some other things I can't remember at the time...and just a few minutes ago he came into my room and asked me if Zoey could eat the left over Eggo waffles that were in the refrigerator...(they had syrup on them!!) I told him NO and he still fed them to her...he never listens to me when it comes to what NOT to feed Zoey. It really bothers me because I am so afraid that she is going to get sick and/or die from eating something she's not supposed to...Guys, please help me and let me know if I should expect anything from her eating those waffles today..also What effects could all these human foods could have on her down the road??
Oh and I am moving out as soon as I can...My dad gives me the whole "when I had dogs growing up we'd feed them anything and everything and they were fine" statement...It's extremely annoying that he refuses to listen to me...Ugh!
Don't know about the waffles, but here's some info on chocolate-
Chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.
The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.
On average, Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz. Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz. Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.
Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as: 1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.
So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.
Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:
Thank you guys for all the information. I told him when we got Zoey not to feed her ANY table scraps...did he listen? NO!! He is one of those parents that thinks he knows everything.
She does get hyper alot...but I think that most of that has to do with the fact that she is a puppy. When he does let her eat milk chocolate, it is a small amount (which is still bad) and the ice cream (which is also chocolate) he lets her lick the bowl after he's done eating it...
Did you explain to him that he could rack himself up some nice vet bills by feeding her something that she could actually have a reaction to such as chocolate?? Maybe the thought of paying alot of money for his mastakes would get him to stop.
Well unless you pay the vet bills.....
***Edited By: Lovebug on 10/3/2005 2:31:50 PM*** Reason: forgot something
I am at my grandparents house due to the hurricane. My grandfather feeds my toy poodle any and everything. Luckly we don't keep candy and chocolate in the house or I know it would be down Barkleys throat. I keep telling him not to feed my dog that is what I have dog food for he just gets mad and tells me he will do what he wants. I also know onions are bad for dogs and everything he cooks is in onions. I try just to keep Barkley in the back of the house with me, I guess we are hiding out from the feedings!!
When I had my first dog she was a chi. Me and my family and feed her left over noodles whenever we had them and we'd run out of food. I feel really bad , because she died when she was 11 years old. She became diabetic and had cushings disease. She died within a month of finding this out. Please don't give your dog noodles or any food that turns into sugar. My dogs now eat Canidae, and chicken sometimes.I really watch what I feed them. Alot of the older generation use to feed dogs table scraps and the dog would live a long time, but now a days there's so much unheathly stuff out there and dogs can get diseases just like we do.
Doxielover...I feel your pain...seems there is always one...I read some where there are untrainers also...my hubby is the untrainer...he gives in and goes against what we said we would do in most everything..giving people food is only one thing..I dont know what to tell you to advise...seems it is just the personality of some...I say pick your battles...give the information to back up what you want to reinforse...I wish I had a quick fix...I know it would make life easier...but sadly I have 5 dogs that my hubby undermines me on on several things...I dont allow jumping...he permotes it...I dont like begging...he hands over food...i say no treats until they earn it...he hands them over for nothing...makes me crazy...I dont know much about you as of yet...but...(if you dont have kids yet...just think how THAT will go...) good luck...
Eskie, Beagle, I assume that once in a while, and upset tummy getting plain food is fine.. Just daily high carb table scraps, or daily high carb filler in a dog food over time can seem to lead to diabetes.
I mean white starches aren't the best for people either.. so..
I would be worried about obesity, which leads to well lets see, serious back problems (surgery is very expensive) Mouth diseases, pancreatitis and say Cushings disease in later years. I'm sure *I could come up with more. I would ask the Veterinarian to call your dad to talk about these issues.Just an idea, I know how parents can be.
My mother-in-law is the exact same way with my 12 week old min pin!!! A few people on here suggested putting a lock on my door and locking him up in there anytime I am not at home. It worked out fairly good! She would also give me the same lecture that drives me crazy as well. I feed him some human food, but only like ham and things like that.. and that's only on certain occasions for treats :) Can't give you any info on the dangers of human food or the after effects from them cause I really don't know. Alot of people have given alot of very useful information on this subject. That's why I just stay away from most human foods.
I have the same problem with my hubby. He gives her whatever is on his plate. Accept for chocolate. He knows better than that. You might ask your veterinarian if they have any handouts on foods that are bad for dogs. Also you could go online and print out what it says, but it might seem more reputable coming from your vet. Good luck.
My dad does the exact same thing! He thinks I'm being mean if I don't let him feed our dogs anything and everything. He feeds them anything from cookies and donuts to icecream and spaghetti and so on. He doesn't listen. He even feeds the hamster chocolate milk, pizza, donuts..etc the list goes on. From what I know, DARK chocolate is most harmful to dogs more than milk chocolate. I subscribe to a health site and I get newsletters about all kinds of things. Just keep an eye out for your dog, and when you move out..hopefully your dad won't by a dog of his own.