My dog died today very suddenly without warning or symptoms. I went outside about 40 minutes after seeing her (she was fine) and then came out and she was lying on her side, dead. I had fed her half an apple a little before that, I 've heard the apple seeds could be poisonous, however she did not vomit...my dog was 7 years old. The vet could tell me how she died, could anyone shed some light on this, it would help set my heart at ease.
Your vet could tell you? Or couldn't? Have your vet do an autopsy, he can check for evidence of toxicity, or see if there was some underlying health problem that lead to your dog's death. I'm no veterinarian so I wouldn't even begin to hazard a guess as to why your dog died. I've never head of apple seeds being that toxic, but then until recently I never had heard onions were toxic either.
"Even apple seeds and cherry pits can poison a pet." I got this from this website: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/poison.html I know this doesn't make it any easier, but it helps to let you know what the cause was. Don't blame yourself, though. It's not worth it to feel guilty. I had a dog with cacncer who died and I blamed myself for not taking good enough care of her, but in the end that's not what you want to remember. You have to remember the good times and the fun.
I knew apple seeds were poisonous but couldn't remember what was in them. Apple seeds contain Cyanide and can cause poisoning only when chewed. The green stems and leaves of tomato plants are poisonous too.