i just got a 5 month old chocolate lab from the SPCA yesterday. they told me that she had not eaten anything all day, and she scarfed down a bowl of food when we got home. today she woke up and had runny eyes(green stuff), threw up clear stuff, and has not been wanting to come out of her kennel all day! she got spayed the day before yesterday, and it says she was treated for hookworms, but i don't think she would still be sick from this....?? i'm planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow, but am VERY worried about my new pup. HELP!
I'm not a substitute for advice from a DVM but your new friend has gone through a WHOLE BUNCH in the last 72 hours. Vomiting after scarfing down food after a surgical procedure is not unusual....most humans do too. Eyes, not sure what to tell you bout that, but not life threatening at all. Take a rectal temperature if possible, provide water but no food and go in the morning. This isn't advice persay....this is what I'd do if this was my pup. But when in doubt and for your peace of mind I'd go if you think you need to. Good luck and post back.
well... i finally JUST got her to eat half a bowl.. she hasn't had anything all DAY, and she's been having trouble having a bowl movement, b/c she hasn't eaten. i have school from 11-2... i'll probably take her afterwards. to take a rectal temp can i just do this with a normal thermometer??
I would just watch my dog till morning and take him to the vet. It doesn't seem life threatening based on your description. If it makes you feel better call the emergency vet and ask them if you should bring the dog in. I personally would wait and save tons of money.
For the most part, I dont think shes in great danger. Any animal coming out of spray/neuter is going to feel awful for a few days, maybe a week. As for the eyes and vomiting.. see a Vet on that. I'm sure shes just nervous about her new environment. Congrats though :]
aww... thanks guys. too bad i don't have a digital camera. (weird... cus i'm an amateur photographer.... but only do film) but she won't drink water either..... i gave her some vitamins, but nothin so far :(
i'm also not sure as how to potty train using the kennel i got for her. i've always had small dogs, and have not used the kennel.
I also have a female chocolate lab puppy. Mine is 8 months old.
Your puppy more than likely is not going to feel all that well for awhile. One she has just been spayed and two, she still has some anxiety from changing living environments. Give her time to adjust to you and your home. Also make sure that her food is right for her. Sometimes an allergy from food can be a culprit to dog ailments.
You have reason to be concerned about your chocolate lab's eye discharge. Anything other than a clear one is usually a health problem--even in people.
If swelling comes on gradually and there is also a yellow or green discharge or crusting around the eyes, your dog could have an infection either in the eyelid itself or in the tear producing glands nearby.
Thick yellow, green, or gray discharge from the eyes is usually a sign of infection or an allergy.
Some labs are born with a defect in the eyelid known as entropion which causes the lashes to brush against the eye. The constant irritation may cause the eyelids to swell.
Please check her temp ASAP. If you don't have a dog ear thermometer than use a baby rectal thermometer. Normal puppy temp: 99-102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
Your vet will be able to determine whether she has an eye infection or whether it's caused by an allergy.
I would try and estimate her weight when she is full grown so you only have to buy one kennel. I would then buy a kennel divider. You can't give her too much room or she will still potty in the kennel. Giver her enough space where she can stand and stretch her legs and her whole body can fit without problems. As she gets older you can move the divider to fit her. The crate can be very helpful in potty training and protecting your belongings as puppies love to chew. I would put her in the kennel when I am not home. Let her out and make sure she pees and poops outside then praise her for being a good girl. If she does not poop or pee outside put her back in the kennel then try again in about 20-30 minutes. Never let her walk around the house without keeping an eye on her.
i got the extra large one that is 30" high and pretty big. when she lays down in it she only takes up half the floor space. mine is collapseable and has the removable tray thing too. i guess i'll try and take her to the vet tomorrow and get a divider for her kennel. I'LL BE SO HAPPY WHEN SHE'S POTTY TRAINED!!! any tips on how to speed this up?!!
Unfortunately, no! LOL Be consistent with the training. Feed her in the morning then take her out. Put her in the kennel with the divider. When you get home take her out immediately. When she uses the potty outside praise her and giver her a treat. If she doesn't use the bathroom back in the crate she goes. If she uses the bathroom outside play with her but keep your eye on her so she won't potty in the house. If you catch her in the act lift her up and put her outside. Finding poop or pee later then scolding her is useless. Good luck!
THANKS AGAIN GUYS:) took her to the vet this morning and he told me to leave her there so he could take a look at her today... i sure hope she's gunna be okay. the potty training is getting a little better too! she did both this morning, but she's still not eating :(
and my cat isn't exactly happy to have her in the house, but MAYBE that will blow over???
She needs her fluids!!If she is not drinking then get her some gatorade.this is great for dogs and they usally love it.what kind of food is she on?her eyes arent life threatning like some other said.I would definitly give her some gatorade.Im sure your cat will get use to her.my cat hates every dog that comes in our house,but he gets used to them after a couple of days.he doesnt understand he bigger thn most of them.lol
***Edited By: cockerlover on 10/10/2005 2:54:09 PM*** Reason: add
i got her back from the vet!! twix (my puppy) had tapeworms! and was anemic! and it turns out she's more like 4 months... not 5! but she's doing SO MUCH better. he's got her on antibiotics for 2 weeks, and she will have to take multivitamins for the next 2 years twice daily. and gave her a bunch of different shots. she's eating and doing well now. still chews up everything.. haha... oh well.. at least she's back to being a normal puppy :) nice and healthy at last.
NOW! i just need to get some pictures posted to show all the world my beautiful baby girl.
Twix is doing so well now! she's eating like crazy and chugging more water than i've ever seen a puppy her size do! i'll post a little later (tonight hopefully) with some pictures of her. i'm so glad she's finally healthy!!! :)
thats so great that shes better!!!!One of my fosters had tapeworms....that was gross!!!!I think they are the most disgusting kind of worms,since they come out of the butt...we had to put baby diapers on her.would love to see pics.