First of all, accidents happen. My friend took a shower, shaved her legs, and forgot to toss the razor in the trash. She accidentally left it on the side of the tub and her doge ate it. This does not always mean your dog will die. It is very possible that he will just pass it. However, I would go to the vet and get an x-ray. BTW, don't feel bad, my friend's vet said someone came in because the dog swallowed a nail and he actually just passed it with no complications. Some dogs are just sneaky and NO ONE is perfect. Sometimes people forget. I guess you guys have never made a mistake.
BTW my friend's dog is perfectly healthy now. He was not a puppy when he swallowed the razor. He was perfectly well behaved in every aspect except he liked to eat junk and he was very sneaky about it. He would not chew shoes or the couch, nothing obvious. She only knew about the razor because she found a piece of the eaten razor. No one really knows what else he has eaten.
"Some dogs are just sneaky and NO ONE is perfect. Sometimes people forget. I guess you guys have never made a mistake."
No one is saying he shouldn't have made a mistake, everyone just thinks hes a....use your own word here... because he didn't bring the damn dog to the vet. You don't sit back and wait for something to happen, you at LEAST call the vet.
Accidents do happen, I've made zillions of mistakes. But...sometimes I think posting here is silly when the answer is obvious. It is very possible that Bad or Worse (Ace or Summer) can get into things. As much as I try to keep them out of stuff, they get into it anyways. But...I'd be on my way to the vet if anything potentially harmful was swallowed...not here.
He had an x-ray and it didn't show anything, but the vet said it may not show up if the piece is very small. I need to keep an eye on his stool for a couple days to see if there's any blood in it.
The reason why I didn't appear terribly concerned is because I'm not sure if he swallowed any of the metal and he was acting fine. I found a chewed up metal ball on the floor and couldn't tell if it was part of or the entire blade, but the plastic part is completely gone. If he swallowed a straight razor I would have rushed him to the animal hospital.
He must have gotten it out of the bathroom trash can. I've since gotten rid of it and I'll buy a taller one that he can't reach.
I dunno, i dont think there was anything wrong with leaving the razor out.... i mean she couldnt have known the dog was going to eat it. it'd be like the dog being like "mm soap!" so does that mean she needs to keep the soap in the medicine cabinet?
then again my dog never ate a razor... we had her addicted to raw hide bones
but, while i agree, take your baby to the vet, you shouldnt feel crappy for leaving a razor out.... i use mine every day in the shower, and i wouldnt be able to remember to put it back every day in the medicine cabinet, after having to dry it off and what-not, and remember to take it out again before my next shower...
If this is a dog who frequently chews up things, then I would be keeping doors shut, crating the dog, using baby gates, making sure the toy box is baited and filled with interesting toys, and making sure the dog gets enough exercise (both mental and physical) and good food.
If it's an isolated one time occurrence with a dog who normallyh does not do this sort of thing, no way you really would have been expected to be able to prevent it.
If I lived now with this dog, I might have a tendency to keep the bathroom door closed.
Yavin, I'm glad your dog is okay. Mine is a walking garbage disposal....she puts everything in her mouth. Luckily we've worked very hard at "leave it" which since she usually obeys the command has saved her from swallowing things. And sometimes when she gets a hold of things I feel bad because it was my fault for not watching or leaving whatever it was within her reach....like the entire half of a caserole....the entire plate of blueberry muffins......yeah, it takes me several times to learn my lesson...lol! But when I'm gone I never leave her loose, but locked in her "room" which is puppy proofed. I think the toy box idea is great. I think I'm going to try that. And like others said, accidents happen, I'm just glad your baby is okay! :)
Okay...I'm confused. Why, if something smells like the owner, would the dog eat it? I don't understand? Is that a hostility thing or what? Why would your dog want to EAT something that smells like YOU? Serious...I really don't understand.
Reminds me of that Saint Bernard puppy in the paper that swiped the knife off of the counter top and ate it...freaky what they'll eat. I mean, how does that even taste good?
My dog has taken to eating sagebrush. The vet says it's fine...but it doesn't look appetizing at all. Oh well, guess the dog just like to chew on toothpicks of sorts! haha
Sounded like when you first posted that you knew he swallowed a whole razer blade. That could really be scary. Hemmorging and Lord only knows what it could have caused. So glad it wasn't that bad and he is doing better. I am a panicky mom. When something happens to mine I go beserk. Hope he stays out of the bathroom. ha I know how easy it is for accidents to happen. My cousin had a little sheltie that eat her birth control pills. All we can do is just do the best we can do because they do get noisy.
Yeah, I figured he probably didn't swallow the blade. that is just gross, eeks. i told you guys about my Jack russel on another post. Him and his jack friend also got into to something one day, and were completely out of it. My mom said it was probably pain reliever...then we found out it was.....uh something else. Both dogs were totally fine by the way, and got over it quickly. He was such a little bugger.