I have never put this on my dogs before because we just don't have fleas. The other day I noticed some real tiny fleas ( only like a couple) on Mandy and Tina. I bought some Frontline and the vial I put on Mandy just poured like it had way to much in it. The other two hardly had any in them. (which I put on Max and Tina.) We were just talking and my husband said that as much was in that vial wonder if we overdosed her. Could this cause the problem with her leg? Has anyone ever heard of any bad things about this stuff.???
I don;t think you can actually overdose them. It would take a lot and probally constent application or maybe on the gums. It can cause skin irritation in some dogs,maybe a strip of dandruff but thats all I've ever heard. they should be fine:)
Whats the problem with her leg though? I'm out of the loop?
It could have caused an neurological problem but I kind of doubt that would be all you would see. I'd take her into the vet though. Hope everythign is ok!
***Edited By: joce on 10/29/2005 3:43:03 PM*** Reason: t
ON my other thread I was telling about how we just came in last night and out of a clear blue sky she couldn't walk. She was dragging her leg and her left foot is turned backward. My vet, this morning said he thought that he had to do with her motor skills. We were gone about a couple of hours, she was fine when we left. We didn't know if she might have jumped and hurt it or maybe hurt it in the doggie door or what. We are just guessing right now. She has to go back Monday for x-rays if she is not better. He give her a cordizone shot, so I guess time will tell.
My pups are on frontline. I can tell you this, my vet told me he had an elderly man come in, sold him the full season's supply of frontline after explaining to him that this product is safe, that when it was tested they fed it to the animals (I thought this was a BAD myself) but the vet said they're all fine. The next month the man came in to ask for me. Vet told him he should have plenty. Well, the man being elderly had misuncderstood and fed his dog the entire supply. --No treatment, dog was fine, so I doubt very much if you can feed it to them without it harming them, that one dosage would be anough to overdose them.
The dog version can be fatal to cats. I have heard this from many sources - never let your cat anywhere near your dog for the first 24 - 48 hours after applying Frontline. Even rubbing against the dog can cause seizures and immediate death. My cat likes to wrestle with my dogs so I don't use the product.
I want to address two different questions here. I haven't been able to find a quote feature on this site, so if there is one I don't know where it is. Anyway, YES you most definitely CAN overdose an animal by giving it too much frontline or Advanatage, or any other flea medication. That is why most topicals are dosed by weight!
The problem you are describing with you dog is very typical of flea med overdose!!!! It can cause lameness, seizures, lethargy, just to name a few. Flea medication is a POISON, designed to kill fleas. If given in too high of a dose, it will also poison your pet. I actually know of people who have literally killed their animals by overdosing.
Second thing I want to address: Yes you can give the dog formula to your cats. This is true for both Frontline and Advantage. The ingredients in these products are identical. Only difference is the conentration and the amount in each vial. The only reason they make a different product for cats vs dogs is to get you to spend more money. It's a marketing ploy.
But you have to pay strict attention to the amount you are giving them.
I have cats and dogs. I buy the largest dog frontline I can get, and divide it up and treat all my cats with it. My vet knows I do this...he's the one who suggested it. I've done it for years.
0.05 ml (which is ONE drop) per pound. It's very easy to do. I take the entire contents of the vial and put it in a shot glass. Then I take a tuberculin syringe and weigh each cat. Then they are dosed accordingly. So a 5 pound cat would get 2.5 ml of frontline. 6 pound cat would get 3.0 ml and so on.
VERY cost effective. Of course the companies aren't going to tell you this, can you imagine how much money they would lose???
Yes Frontline can be given to cats, but AdvanTIX should not be given to cats as it can be fatal. I've also seen problems with Hartz products and cats. I've never seen problems from frontline. From the way I understand her leg problem started before you used frontline. Do you think you could have gotten the vials mixed up for the two dogs? It's easy to do, I would just make sure you label them with the dog's name on them next time and verify with the vet you're giving each dog the right one. Anyway, just watch for strange behavior, vomiting, diarrhea, seizure type symptoms, but I think they'll be okay.
No, I know for sure I didn't get the vials mixed up. The other two vials didn't have hardly any in it. I told one of the vet techs when I called that the vial had so much in it, it just ran down her shoulders. My vet denies it could be the Frontline. If it has poisoned her, what can we do? Then he also give her cordisone. Good grief if this baby survises this I am never using anything else on them if I have to bathe them all the time. That makes me sick to stomach to think all I did was follow directions and now what it has caused. It was the dosage for 11 to 22 lbs.
Did you get the frontline from a vet? or a mail order catalog?
Cat and dog frontline are the same...they are simply dosed out by weight so OD is very possible. Frontline was not always in the viles, the spray on version which works the same, is not seperated by species. You simply use only the amount you need.
Our Petco's in Dallas are now carrying Frontline. You have to ask for it because they keep it locked up. I wish, Oh how I wish I had never bought it. I may be wrong and it could be something else going on with her leg, but my husband and I both just have a gut feeling that is what happened.
Well you are probably right. If I remember correctly that is how Frontline works on ticks and fleas to begin with, by paralyzing their nervous system. If that is what has happened, it should (hopefully) wear off eventually. You cold try bathing her in dishwashing liquid to help speed up the process.