I've just adopted a new pup and I'm looking for some helpful feedback to my concerns. The pup is a male, chocolate lab at 3 months old; He's from a shelter and approximatly 17 pounds. He was sterilized and vacinated the day after adoption. My concerns involve his sleeping and appitite, and possibly Deramaxx. The first day he ate quite a bit and seemed pretty normal. The second day was basically the same except with his evening meal I gave him a Deramaxx like the shelter suggested. This morning he vomited bile and foam before eating his morning portion of food. After being active for a few hours he has slept nearly all day with no appitite. He had some water but vomited it up not long after. I've discontinued the Deramaxx as suggested. I've read this can be common but I want to pass it through the forum in case I may be missing something. I do not yet have a vet at the moment. Thank you in advance for any input.
I would suspect the deramaxx, Ive personally never used any painkillers on my dogs after they've been spayed or neutered. None of them have acted like they are in pain enough that I"ve felt it necessary. How long has it been since you last gave him the deramaxx? I think I'd be taking him to the vet to be on the safe side, that's just me.
It's been about 24 hours now. He hasn't been sick except for the two incidences. He has been sleeping a lot but I've read pups can sleep up to 20 hours a day. He didn't display any adverse effects to the sugery but they told me to give him one anyways; Deramaxx also being an anti-flammatory. Thank you for your response.
deramaxx can cause vomiting in those dogs that have sensitive stomachs. it is usually recommended that it be given with food just for that reason. but honestly i would take him to the vet. given his age and the fact that he came from a shelter i would be afraid he may have picked up a virus at the shelter. also young puppies can dehydrate faster than an adult dog when vomiting.
i agree with the above. if you don't have a vet yet, then you need to go and just take him to one...make sure you have a good feeling about the place first though...or you could take him to the animal hospital and ask them if they could help or refure you to a good trustable vet. hope your pup is ok and back to it's playful self again soon :)