One of my boy puppies that was born in July, and I had let go to a new home when he was 12 weeks old died last week. He was known for slipping his collar and running off, and he got out of it again and got in the barn without anyone knowing, and he got into rat poison. They weren't able to save him.
They didn't even have the decency to let me know when it happened. I didn't find out until I called to see how the puppy was doing. :(
I argue with my husband.. He wants to put decon in our garage.. I won't let him.. I say pay the kid 25 cents or so a piece for every mouse he catches in a trap in the garage. That way the traps are always reset.
I wouldn't sell anymore puppies to them. I won't even put snail poison that's animal safe. I don't want to chance it. My dogs are my kids. I know accidents happen, but you have to stay one step ahead of them.
I knew they loved him, but I feel that if they knew he slipped his collar, they should have had him in a fenced in yard when he was outside. The guys girlfriend also bought his sister at the same time. She is still alive since she lives in a different house. I am grateful for that, since I saved her when she was first born. She was not breathing, and I worked on her for 10 minutes before she was ok.
The boyfriend will definitely not be getting anymore dogs from me! It is really sad when you have to cross potential puppy owners off a list-especially when it is someone you went to school with!
That is the saddest way to have a pet taken from you we had our boy bailey die from rat poison. My husband was cleaning out the fenced off area and let them run around out side with him, while the garage door open we had long ago put rat poison behind our chest freezer and he squeezed behind there and ate it we of course did not no this until it was way to late we tried so hard to save him but it was to late for our sweet chihuahua boy, we really loved him and were great owners. This is probley what happened with this guy he was probley so embaressed and saddened because he felt bad and guilty he probley really did love him. beilive me this is not a mastake that I would ever of course make again.
I have had a kitten that died of it also, but I wanted to add something because people always seem to forget the other critters out there. While rat poison and decon may be effective, it is also a slow and painful death to rats and mice, as well as any cat or dog that may ingest a poisoned mouse or rat can also be affected by the poison. I also disagree with Snap Traps, while they may be efficient and a little less dangerous to other animals, sometimes it can be a fairly painless death to a mouse, but to the ones the do not land in it right, it is the most horrible thing to see. Have you ever heard a mouse cry that broke its back but was not dead? Or seen a mouse chew off its on leg in a hope to try and survive? These are just a few things that these poor animals have to suffer through when the traps do not go right, and to be honest, it happens ALOT! Many people do not check traps everyday, maybe once a week, by then the mouse has starved to death or died a painful death of internal injuries. Just because they are rodents and many people think of them as a pest, does not mean that they deserve to be killed any less humane than that of a dog or cat or other animal. Please use live catch traps and release them far away from where you live. It DOES work. Also, if you eliminate the reason for them being there(typically food), then that will also help.
I just wanted to post this so that people will possibly think about the other end of the spoke as well.