me too. i knew frenchies were chewers and wanted to be prepared. almost had to use it myself. one of my two 17 year old daughters left a razor in the dogs reach. sarah set it down and got side-tracked on the phone. i found pieces of it spread around the living room. luckily i found both blades and they didnt cut their mouths. i am constantly on the girls to keep their bathroom door shut at all times. they have all kinds of items laying around in there that dogs would have a heyday with. she got a good chewing out and a week of no phone. i dont know how that girl can eat, shave her legs and talk on the phone at the same time with her t.v and stereo both blaring !
***Edited By: dusty082155 on 12/17/2005 6:58:22 AM*** Reason: spell
This reminds me of my Stepfather when my cat swollowed a sewing needle, a small one. He first checked for no hard swollowed or choking gestures and then he put cod liver oil on 2 cotton balls and the cat ate it up immediately and then he taught us kids to watch for the next 24 hours...sure enough the the needle was passed wrapped in the cotton balls. The cod liver oil he told us would be tasty to the cat and make him want to go to the bathroom.
this is a case where she should not have induced vomiting. when the dog swallows sharp objects (which could lodge in the esophagus or perforate the stomach). small pieces of glass could easily get lodged in the walls of the esophagus. in this case i would at least call and talk to the vet and explain what has happened . he may want the dog brought in to be examined.
bharathi, Hydrogen peroxide can be used to induce vomiting (if vomiting is what needs to be done). I have had to go that route...if I recall one tsp is all that is needed - it's very quick acting. I would ALWAYS consult with a vet first.
When I had two Standard Poodles, Cato and Tommy, they ate an entire bottle of medicine with two pills gone.
I called my vet in a panic and he told me to just pour hydrogen peroxide down their throats, count the pills, and call him back if any were missing.
The pills came up, of course. I counted and all 28 were there. Then I scooped up the slimy mess of pills and put them in a zip lock bag and took it to the pharmacy.
I told them what happened and asked for another prescription. They said that they would have to call my doctor. I heard the pharmacy tech explaining to my doc what had happened. She could hardly stop laughing.
I was offended (not really). How else could I prove to them that I really needed more pills? Otherwise they might have accused me of peddling my anti-depressants on the street.
Or course, by then, I really NEEDED my anti-depressants because I had to pay for two prescriptions in one month!
Peroxide is a great tool, when ued properly to induce vomiting to help reduse the toxins in the body while you are on your way to the vet (which should always be done whether they vomit it up or not to check to make sure they have not absorbed enough already) But not done properly, it can be more harmful than good, in the case of the glass, this is not an item that should have been vomited back up, there are too many dangers with internal damage to turn around and double the risk by having it repass through the throat a second time. In addition, anything caustic should also not be induced.
The peroxide is also intended to be diluted with water before administering also
***Edited By: lpn169 on 12/17/2005 3:26:36 PM*** Reason: add