Has anyone ever had this problem? It's a very fishy smell, seems to come from her butt. Her skin is a little oily. My hands smell like fish after petting her. It's causing my furniture to smell, too. She is a 7 month old puppy, she is Purina Puppy food. I am in the process of switching her to Wellness. Any ideas?
Yes it is his anal glands. You can have the vet or groomer clean them. Some dogs need in once a year some once a month and some more often. You can be taught to do it but it is very gross. Some dogs don't need it at all. Call your vet and they can fix it. Some groomers charge like 6$. I get my pup groomed and the groomer automatically does it.
thanks for the suggestion. i made an appt. to have the glands squeezed. hopefully that will sovle the problem. if not the vet said she may need some blood work done. hopefully putting her on some better food will help, too. my obedience trainer said she gives her dogs green beans with their food. anyone ever try this?
Yes please have puppy checked for some kind of infection.A fishy smell (not from the breath) usually indicates bacterial growth. For oily skin, just lot's of baths add a DROP or 2 not a squeeze,just a drop...of Dawn dish detergent to your shampoo. Learn to do the anal glands and do it during the bath.
a urninary tract infection was something the vet also suggested, said they could do blood work for that. when your dog had it, did it seem to come off of her skin too? cuz mine is oily, and after holding her, my hands smell fishy.
I htink it could be a UTi or anal glands! Also if the vet sees nothing worng.Go to your local natural food store.or a GNC. Get some Chloropyl it takes away body odor and bad breath.i use it for my dogs daily.Give her 1/4 teaspoon every day.Mix it in her water or food.Got any pics??
my dog only has that smell when she toots, sorry but it's true,and it smells like fish it is a strong oder maybe your dog is doing what my dog did!lol I think you should get some sort of perfume for yuor dog, they have some really good dog perfumes.
Yes, there is a 96% chance that its the Anal Glans because the same problem occured with my three year old Mini Pin. The other 4% could be something else such as a urianry problem or the type of food you are giving her. Though I used Purina Puppy Chow on my dog(s) and they didn't have a problem, every puppy/dog is different just like us. What type of shampoo are you using on her? (I might have a good suggestion on the brand of shampoo I use on my dogs.)