lanerface don't give up on her yet. when my pup had parvo i was working for a vet so i spent just about all my free time with him until midnight or later some nights. on one night he was sooo bad that he couldn't lift his head, the stool was just running outof him , just the tip of his tail was all he could move to greet me. i thought for sure he was going to die and it was midnight and all the vets were gone. so i went home to get my sleeping bag because i wasn't going to let him die w/out me being there.my dad would not let me go back.long fight insued but i still didn't go back. the next morning i drove to work preparing my self that he would be gone. when i got there the vet told me i owed her a big breakfast. i was a bit perplexed and she told me to go look at stosh. i ran down to the quarantine room and there he was jumping around, happy as can be and chewed out his iv overnight. your pup doesn;t sound as sick as my guy was so give her a chance. i spent 15 1/2 wonderful years with stosh. he's gone now but i am so glad i gave him a chance.
Thank you both for your positive stories; right now I am sitting and waiting to hear the outcome of my little one's blood tranfusion. What I don't understand is she isn't vomiting and have stools as often as all that I read but her lab results keep going down. The vet called at 5 this evening to say it was time for a transfusion because her hemocrit and protein levels had dropped further. they would not be able to cross type because of the amount of volume needed to do so........we won't know for a while if the transfusion is a success or not. Sometimes I feel that this is the end and then I get a small thought that it might just be the beginning. hard to imagine getting so attached to something so quickly but after the death of my ameican eskimo in may I have long awaited the puppies to be old enough to bring one home and now my heart is breaking again for a that sweet face that looks like she is smiling. I have gone into see her at least once a day. The third day she was there she was barking (well puppy bark) so loudly that I could hear here in the waiting room.....she was trying to get out of her cage,etc but I haven't seen her that perky in a while although they say in the mornings she has been.....but the lab reports indicate otherwise........so as I babble on trying to not really think about things........I just don't understand someone selling a sick little one to not only me but another lady who had recently lost her pet too or to anyone for that matter. I guess that is the difference between the heart of a breeder and the heart of an animal lover......again thanks to both of you and I hope to have positive news soon........I hope................
Eskie This is my first experience with parvo and it is not a good one and my message to everyone is to get those shots, check out the breeder, etc (although we got our first Eskie from the same people). My first Eskimo died at 11 and half years from a tumor and that was in May. It broke my heart and I have a cat who tries but most cats just aren't as affectionate and cuddly as a dog. I really needed a new puppy to help with the loss. Eskies are so smart and ours was very gentle......she didn't care for out siders with the exception of new grandkids coming in to the house but the family she knew as a puppy and the grandkids were her family even after our girls got married.......sons in law couldn't come in with her running around but the daughters could. Well back to my little one...........I didn't hear anything during the night so I am hoping that means she did okay with the transfusion. I feel so bad for the vet's office and hope they haven't lost business because of my little one being brought in there. They won't take puppies into the exam room where my girl was first seen and she is in isolation so I would not think she would be a liability to them. That first night (and only night) she was here she would just cuddle (I guess because she was sick); she only went potty when I took her outside. I felt I was on the right road again. Hopefully, I get to bring her home to cuddle with again. I know I must be the most depressing person around right now but I do love my animals.
Well she made it through the transfusion and is perkier today; however, she is still losing stuff out the back. They were going to run some more labs on her today and Monday. They hate taking any more blood than necessary because she just doesn't have much left. Hopefully the transfusion will help her body kick into action to make the stuff she needs to get well. Tomorrow will be one week since we got her and since she first threw up......so tomorrow will be one week since I know she had the symptoms.......from all I have read she should be bouncing back by now. It gets real discouraging sometimes and bless her hear she hasn't had any food in at least a week too; they have offered but she wouldn't eat. They were going to try to offer again today but I haven't heard anything since this morning.
SCOUT 1 I keep coming back to your post and receive encouragement from it. We had not been able to kill all the fleas since she was so tiny the shampoo was not strong. I am afraid they are not helping her situation but she is too sick to treat the fleas too. I just get angry that someone would let tiny pups get in such a bad way....the fleas and the worms are enough alone but then to not take action when you have lost previous pups and still try to sell other litters without cleaning and holding off, etc. It is inhumane to put animals through that kind of unnecessary suffering in order to make a buck or two. The vet called this morning while we were at church and said she was still about as perkier as she was yesterday which was not too bad; she still has alot of stuff coming out though and still not eating. I keep hoping every day to get told what you were told. Tomorrow will be a week since she went into the vet.
Scout 1- Please keep me posted on how your puppie is doing. We just put our puppy Sam to sleep Friday July 23rd after we had had him only three days. The woman we bought him from claimed that Sam had his first set of shots but we did not receive any proof from her. He seemed fine on Tuesday when we brought him hom but by Friday morning he had bloody diarrhea and was vomiting, I immediately took him to the vet. Sam had a 103.7 fever and could hardly walk. With the recommendation of the vet we put him to sleep. I was absolutely devestated. We had been promising our children (9 and 4 yr old) a puppy forever and then this happened. I felt so guilty leaving him at the vet, it broke my heart. He was so sweet and I always thought that I was not much of a dog person but that sweet little face got straight in my heart. I cried most of the day as did my 9 yr old, the four year old did not understand. My husband broke the news to our 9 yr. old and even my husband cried. We have learned a lesson the hard way and that is to make sure that your puppies really do have their shots when you get them and make sure that you keep them current on all vaccinations. It will save a tremendous amount of heartbreak. It was only three days but I am glad that I could give him a good home and tons of love for that amount of time. I hope that your puppy makes it. But don't let him suffer, which is what I saw happening to Sam. It is a tough choice to make.
Hi all of you! My baby yorkie is in the vet hospital with parvo. He goes up and down on a daily basis. His levels rise, and then fall. He gets sick and then is ok for a while. He has not been perky at all and looks so sad. I would never dream of not treating him, humans suffer pain and reap the rewards of treatment in hospitals - why should we not treat our animals? I have to strongly disagree with people who think they are being kind to animals by putting them down when they get parvo, still I guess we should all agree to disagree. My breeder will not contact me and I am down by around $3000 at the moment. It is certainly expensive. we only had him in the house for 12 hours before he ended up at the vet. We are very anxious for him to come home. I empathise with all of you out there going through the same painful moments. This forum is a great place to discuss and to help with all those feelings of helplessness. Keep up the good thoughts all of you :)
BARBIE GIRL I am sorry to hear of your loss. We only had Kodi for less than 24 hours when she was admitted to the hospital. I had lost my american eskimo May 28 to cancer and was waiting 6 weeks to get another one. We picked her up on Sunday and she would not eat, vomited once.....I chalked it up to stress and we had bathed her etc. Monday morning I had made her well puppy check up appt for that afternoon. She still didn't want to eat but only went potty when I took her out. I noticed her last 2 stools had a little bit of blood. I told the vet that and they took her temp, etc. They suspected parvo but were hoping just a worm infection. When they got the results of the lab work it was definite. She has had some days of perkiness and some not; they transfused her on Friday and she was perky on Sat and the vet said also yesterday. She is still passing blood and doesn't want to eat. I called this morning but the vet wasn't in yet and the receptionist was very evasive and had nothing to tell me......so I am assuming the worse........I just spoke to the vet.........she is still alive! thankfully I read in to it wrong!!!! the vet is guarded but optimistic. she did eat a little but through it up........just her eating is something else she hasn't eating since well when ever she ate last at the breeder. I would be very cautious bringing another puppy in for a while unless it has had all of its shots. Kodi was never on the carpet and didn't vomit or have stools in the house but I worried that we brought the virus in on our shoes from the breeders house; I bleached everything anyway even the small section of yard that she used to potty but from everything I have read it can last in the environment for a long time and that bleach is the only thing that kills it.
lanerface i am glad my post gives you encouragement. it is a devastating disease to watch your little have. your pup sounds like a fighter and that is good. from the cases i have seen if they are really bad they are usually gone in 3-4 days. the fact that she is still perky i would take as a good sign. she is in my thoughts and prayers. keep me posted. barbie girl i am sorry about your pup.it is never easy to make the decision to let them go. i am sure you did the right thing for your baby. just be careful because even if they have their first set of shots , or even second set, they are still not 100% immune. my pup had gone thru 2 sets of shots when he was exposed. the pup who exposed him didn't make it. i was 16 at the time and this was my first vet job and i didn't know about all these things and the dangers. abbetrip i wish you the best for your pup.good for you for giving her a chance. i will keep her in my prayers with lanerfaces little eskie. let us know how she does also
lanerface- I am glad that your puppy is doing a little better. I am really pulling for you. Everyday that they are still fighting is a good sign. I think that if they make it through the first 3-4 days there chances improve dramatically. Please keep me posted, after Sam, it would be wonderful to hear a good ending. We are supposed to go look at a 12 week old puppy tomorrow he will have his second shots on Saturday and according to my Vet he should be safe to bring home. The owners of the puppy said they would keep him for us until he has his second shots. However what I have read on the internet about Parvo, I am more than a little apprehensive. We have done much cleaning (floors, carpets, linens, yard) but I am still not to sure about this. I do not think my son could take this again (or me for that matter). I am going to call the Vet tomorrow and see what he thinks and make sure that he thinks it is safe. Any thoughts out there? Thank you very much for the nice notes about Sam. It is nice to talk to people who have gone through this with their dogs or puppies.
barbie girl the vet would be the best person to talk to about bringing the puppie home when you have had one with parvo. the fact that the pup will have had its second set of shots is good but you read even then there is potential. I guess it depends too on if you were able to bleach the areas, etc. I heard to clean the area and the soil and not bring an unvaccinated one into the area for 6 months but then someone else says it can live for years......but if the pup is vaccinated before any illness and probably comes from a good breeder (or so it sounds) your chances are better......perhaps having the pup in one area of the house that is easy to disinfect before hand with the bleach and being selective where they go potty outside would minimize the risks; however I would DEFINITELY discuss it with my vet. You definitely don't won't to lose another one to it or expose one to it. I feel we did a pretty good job of cleaning since Kodi was only on the tile the 24 hours we had her but I just worried if we had the virus on her shoes from the breeder's house. Makes you wish you were the kind of person that never wears their shoes into the house. I have cleaned our shoe bottoms with bleach the mats in the car etc but that is all after the fact since I had been to the breeder's 6 weeks ago and a week before we got the puppy and then the day we got the pup.....so ample opportunity to have it on my shoes........best of luck to you It was so nice to go in and see Kodi perky today. She was actually a little sassy with me when I went to leave. I hope she can eat or drink tomorrow with out throwing it up. Who knows the last time she actually ate...I know it has been over a week now. I can't wait for her to get well (hopefully) and bring her home.
My puppy ate a little bit of food at 9 am this morning and when I went to see her at 11:30 she had kept it down...I see that as being very positive; I know the vet bill is going to be sky high but if you divide it out over her life it isn't that much a year.......
I am glad your puppy is doing better! Eating is a very good sign, and hopefully, it will get better from now on! Good luck to you and your puppy...I have been following the thread and reading your updates, Ace and I have been praying for your pup =)
Well as high as the mountain was yesterday, the valley is about as low. I went in to see my little puppy and the vet met me. They had been trying to reach me. The little girl's hemocrit and protein levels are now at their lowest ever (even before the transfusion, they weren't this low); she had a little form to her stool but still some blood but less frequent numbers; she wasn't perky or yelping at all today and not interested in food. She was afraid to try another transfusion because of not being able to cross type her blood with her not having much left to begin with but she did want to try oxyglobin which won't raise the levels but will help anemia by providing more oxygen. I knew nothing about this stuff but I told her to do what she felt was right. From what I have read there are risks with it too so......... First of all I don't see how she made it this long.....since she did make it this long (over a week and a half now) why isn't she getting better and staying better? Oh she also has a little sneeze and a little bit of a runny nose.....am I going to lose this sweet puppy after she has been through so much to a cold virus, etc? I keep going back to the fact that she has been fighting so I can't give up but what does she have left in that little body to fight? She was only 2 lb 3 oz to start off with when we brought her in and now I don't even know what she weighs.......please continue to pray for this little one,,,,God's will. I feel God cares for our pets too or he wouldn't give us something that we can love and receive love in return......but He knows what is down the road not I; I know what I would like but His will is the perfect will so........with that.............I will keep everyone updated and thanks so much for all your thoughts, prayers, and concerns..............
ABBETRIP34 HOW IS YOUR PUPPY DOING THIS WEEK? I PRAY YOUR LITTLE ONE IS DOING BETTER. YOUR STORY SOUNDS LIKE MINE......NOT A VERY NICE ROLLER COASTER RIDE IS IT? IF YOURS IS DOING BETTER THEN THERE IS DEFINITELY HOPE FOR MY LITTLE ONE TOO; DID YOUR VET SAY WHAT CAUSE THEIR HEMOCRIT AND PROTEIN, ETC TO KEEP GOING DOWN AND SOMETIMES UP? I AM AFRAID THAT THE PARVO HAS STRIPPED HER BODY OF ANY REPAIR THAT SHE CAN DO ON HER OWN. SHE WAS STILL VERY ALERT AND WALKED TO THE CAGE DOOR WHEN I CAME IN BUT DIDN'T WANT TO EAT TODAY. YESTERDAY WAS SO GREAT! TODAY HAS BEEN NOT SO GOOD.