sorry for your loss, can't imagine the feeling. but why didn't you give the pup a bath? or was it not that drenched? if it were drenched and didn't get a bath, the pup would try licking himself clean, as any animal would. it's a natural reaction. the stuff may not be toxic persay, breathing around it, but i'm sure it isn't good for you if you drink it. and this is exactly what the pup did. drank it.
I had a cat that poisoned himself with "Rug Doctor" soap when he was a kitten. I was shampooing my carpet and my kitten was walking through the wet carpet and licking his paws. He had the same symptoms as your puppy, dizzy and projectile vomit. I rushed him to the Vet along with the soap bottle. We called the soap company and they said the solution was non-toxic. By that time my kitten had crashed on the table and was not breathing. The Vet gave him a shot of an antihistamine and sent us to the Animal Emergency Care. The Vet guessed that my kitten had an allergic reaction to the cleaner.
My cat was pretty much "dead" at the AEC. But the antihistamine kicked in and brought him back to life. That was 7 yrs. ago and my kitten Buddy is still with me and going strong.
So, I would say if anyone has a young pet exposed to any kind of cleaning solution and having a bad reaction, don't delay. Take your pet to an emergency vet or give a OTC antihistamine. Chances are your pet won't get better on its own.
please pursue contacting the fda to make a claim. please get a necropsy if it isnt to late. i am sorry for your loss. if enough claims (free) are made perhaps the fda will take it off the market. its a tragedy that "enough" animals must pass on; isnt one animal enough? i dont trust freebreeze. in the car maybe but not in the house. i have an 5 ft ig and mom in law has birds. again sorry.
Q: Dear Mike: I received this from one of my e-mail friends. I'm forwarding it on to you. I know that everything you hear on the Internet is not necessarily true, but this sounded pretty ligament. Thanks for your time. Andrea B
"There have been multiple instances of dogs and birds who have died or became very ill after being exposed to Febreze, a deodorizer/air freshener. Febreze contains zinc chloride, which is very dangerous for animals. "
This is from a friend of mine at UVA - her dog died and this is what the vet had to say. If you have a cat or bird, FEBREZE (odor spray) is TOXIC!!!! This has been confirmed by a vet. It will kill your animal. A friend's dog died unexpectedly and the vet strongly suspects this product as well. ''
A-The National Animal Poison Control Center has a note on their website which says that they have not been able to find any evidence to date that there is a risk to pets from Febreze.
May 26 Update - Fabreze statement from the Animal Poison Control Center
Date: March 26, 1999
To: Whom It May Concern
Subject: Febreze™ Fabric Refresher
Recently there have been comments and discussions posted on the Internet suggesting that the use of Febreze™ Fabric Refresher in households is dangerous to animals. We have issued the following statement in order to help disseminate accurate information:
"Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center are conducting an on-going investigation into claims that use of Febreze™ in the home caused the death of several pets. All information reviewed to date suggests that there is no evidence that Febreze™ represents any risk to pets when used according to label instructions. Presently, the center considers the product safe to use in households with pets. As with any cleaning product, the center recommends that birds be removed from the room until the product application has dried and the area has been ventilated. Please call 1-800-345-4735 if you have any questions or have a pet that you suspect is experiencing problems or visit us at http://www.napcc.aspca.org."" target="_blank">http://www.napcc.aspca.org."
Please photocopy this letter or download our statement from our web site and pass the correct information on to other friends of animals.
Steven R. Hansen, DVM, MS Diplomate American Board of Veterinary Toxicology Senior Vice President
***Edited By: mzpeekabooicu on 2/15/2006 8:39:23 PM*** Reason: add
her child did it, not her, and she took it away from the child. THANK GOD the child didnt get cleaner on his hands then rub eyes. kids do kid stuff. hopefully ALL cleaners have been twice checked to make sure they are "out of reach of children"(as stated on product warnings)unless being supervised by an adult.
im so sorry for your loss.
***Edited By: mzpeekabooicu on 2/15/2006 8:36:51 PM*** Reason: add
I think many products are safe if used according to the directions. Just because it's not toxic to animals I don't think they mean the dog can be soaked in it or lick it so it get so it gets into their bodies. Such as bleach is safe for cleaning/laundry, but if you drink it you would get really sick. I used biospot on my dog that was supposed to be safe and for dogs, and it almost killed my dog, and others are ok with it. I'm sorry for your loss!
In reply about Mandy's bottom, there are 3 vets at our office. This is not the one she sees all the time. When she told me that I actually thought she was kidding. I have always liked to spray the house with fabreeze, but after all of this I don't think I'm going to be buying any more of it. I still say we would be better off to stick to some of the old timey ways of cleaning.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
I do not use febreze because I do not know if my animals will be okay, or not with it...and I am not going to chance it.
I just wanted to say that while many animals are okay with it, some animals may be severly allergic to it, or something. It is obviouse that SOME animals are having major reactions to these chemicals. When I mop my floor, I have the clorox clean-up, but my animals are banned from my kitchen until it is completely dry. I am very sorry for you loss.........
The OP has everyone all spazing and running around their house beliveing what was said after one post from someone you don't know on a messege forum people are willing to just accept it as teh gospal of hte internet and act upon it.
I am not a big fan of chemicals, period. All chemicals are bad for you. It might not kill you but it can contribute to health problems such as cancer. I have recipes for safer cleaning alternatives. Here is the link http://www.terrificpets.com/forum/30693.asp