Hi Our 10-month-old Yorkshire terrier has back leg problems. Our vet wrote us a report which we sent to our breeder, (we had already spoken to her about the problem and she admitted that one other puppy bred from the mother had had this problem) We bought our dog to show and to breed from, unfortunately with this problem we can not get his pedigree thus we can not show him and would not breed from him. We will now have to operate as the poor little thing is in pain and the operations will cost over 1000 euros. We asked the breeder for a donation to help out, we asked for the cost of one leg. After much chasing up of the breeder she told us she did not feel responsible and although we had paid a top price for the dog she did not wish to help out with the cost. She told us we had paid the top price as she was selling a pedigree, we pointed out that the dog could not obtain his pedigree with this problem. I feel let down by all of this and wonder what is the point in spending a fortune to buy from a reputable breeder and paying over the odds when I could have got a nice dog from a friend. Surely one pays to be covered for these types of problems. Can any one help out with this??? Thanks
if you really spent that much take her to small claims court. you bought a breedable dog and she knew it had bad genes as a littermate(?) had the same issue. She sold you defective merchandise. they may make her give you the money back but they may also say you have to return the dog. But bringing it up may scare her into paying. tell ehr you want all money less the cost of what you'd pay for a pet quality pup.
In English they call the problem luxelle rotula I think. It is when the knee pops out of its socket. The vet told us they would need to deepen the socket manually so that the ligament would not come out; it is a night in the vets hospital plus 6 weeks in convalesance
We are really attached to our dog now and I can't bare to see him suffer or entertain the idea that we could leave him in the care of any one else.
We live in Paris by the way. Does that make sense to any of you???
What did you have to do with the dogs to allow them to recover. Our dog broke a leg at three months( we are sure that he came to us with a fracture but that is another story!!) and had to have 8 weeks of crate care. We had to carry him around even to go to the toilet. Is this what happens after luxating patella surgery too???
We're on week 4 of recovery with another 4 weeks to go. When he first came home he was definitely uncomfortable for about 10 days. He had a morphine patch but was allergic to it, so the only medication he took was an anti-inflammatory.
The first 10 days he also walked using a "belly strap" to keep weight off his back legs. I'm not going to say it was easy but we do what we have to do to help them.
I have a Physical Therapy schedule to follow. We do alot of stretching during the day followed by massaging the area. Our leashed, crawling, walks are up to 13 minutes each. Sometimes he feels like walking sometimes he doesn't! I was told it is very important to keep the joint moving. Well easier said then done!
Chandler is in an x-pen in the middle of the house. He only has enough room to stand and take a few steps. This has worked well for us as he can see everything going on. He has also been a very good boy about it.
Tomorrow marks his fourth week post-op and we only have four more to go! Halfway feels really GOOD!
Take the dog back to the breeder and aquire a different puppy without the problem. If you got the dog to show/breed that would be a completely appropriote solution. If you choose to keep the dog as a pet, then no, the breeder should not be obligated to help you with vet bills. Genetic diseases are a risk that we all take when obtaining a dog as a pet or show prospect. If you are serious about showing/breeding then you are going to have to get used to failures. They are going to be a regular occurance. It can take many years to aquire the right dogs with the right atributes that will make them worth keeping.
A responsible breeder sells their dogs with a written contract and a minimum health guarantee of at least 2 years. If your dog had come with a health guarantee in writing, you would at least have some kind of proof of an agreement with the breeder regarding the health and prospective show ability of the puppy. if you dont have a contract or agreement like this, I don't know that you have any options other than to learn from your mistakes and go with a breeder that stands 100% behind the health of their dogs :P
The breeder should replace this dog with anothre of show/breedering quality, if you do decide to keep this one she may require that you pay pet price for your current pup. Read your contract and see what it says in there, if she has not fulfilled her side then take her to court, that is the point of the contract. I would be hesitant to get another dog from the same breeder if she knew her dogs were producing pups with this problem and she bred again then she doesn't seem very reputable. You may be able to get your money back if you go to court though, I am not sure. Did she do genetic health tests on her dogs?
Thank you for all your comments. We had a reservation contract where we specified the type of dog we wanted. IE small 1.800g to 2.200g. We went down three times to visit the kennels and see the parents chosen. I looked at the papers we collected when we bought our dog but apart from the papers to state that the dog was an official pedigree and signed in with the canine society plus all the vets papers i can't find any thing that states she will be responsible for the health of the dog after it has been purchased. I guess we were a bit green and presumed that by buying from a reputable breeder we would be covered. I also thought that she would not breed dogs that could have this problem, of course as we know there is always the exception. She did say that she did not have dog insurance to cover this problem!! I guess it is up to us now!!