How do I know whether or not the mushrooms growing in my yard are poisonous to my dog? They keep popping up all over the place and although I'm very careful to make sure she doesn't get a hold of one, I'm scared of what will happen if she does.
How can I stop them from growing?
I've done some seaching on the internet but I can't tell for sure from pictures if they are dangerous or not. What should I do?
The best way to keep her from eating them is by going through your yard and pulling all the ones you see up, and throwing them away.
Mushrooms propogate by sporing (basically sending a cloudof tiny tiny seeds in the air). It's just about impossible to stop them from growing, especially if it is rainy and damp over the period of a week, which is why they're probably growing all of a sudden.
I don't know if where you live it has been raining alot, if not are you watering your lawn too often. That will make them grow. I would go out once a day a pluck them out of the yard to be on the safe side.That has always been something that has worried me too.
You are right to be worried. My 1 year old male Min Pin, Jackson, got really sick on one last year. He picked it up on a walk around our neighborhood.
Got sick one time where I got most of it out of his mouth but he still got sick so he must have swallowed a little of it. The second time I did not see him get it. We only walked down the block and back and he picked one up I did not see and I always look for them. I knew what it was because he threw it up.
The second time he had to spend the night at the emergency vets and the next day at our regular vets getting fluids in an iv. He was throwing up and had diarrhea with fluids coming out of his nose, mouth and eyes. He gets sick within 15-20 minutes of eating a poisonous one.
This year he does not dive for mushrooms likel he used to but we still really watch.
Like said before I do find if it has rained alot or if someone waters their lawn a lot, they will get more mushrooms. Also keep your lawn mowed so the grass is not that long so there won't be that much moisture. It helps but you still have to look and pluck them.
Hi animal lover. I suspect your "mushrooms" are toad stools? Especially if it has been rainy or wet in your area. They can pop up overnight. I was visiting my vet a few months ago when a lady brought her dog in, deathly ill, from eating toad stools. My vet kept the dog and told the lady "You have to go out and inspect the yard every morning before you let her out, since you know she likes to eat them, and she is much sicker this time than last. When we have wet weather they can pup up overnight. The next time she eats one could cause her death." I remember thinking, "Thank goodness my dogs don't seem to like them." But, they do pop up overnight here, too, in rainy spring weather. So, they can be very dangerous. I know its a pain to inspect the yard and pull them up, but much better than an emergency trip to the vet. CeCe
You just have to see the dog sick once from this to know you don't want your dog to go through it again.
The first emergency vet visit was $75.00 because he got better and they did not have to do anything besides check him over. The second time it cost over $400 between the overnight stay and having to take him to the vet the next morning.
I would pay whatever to save one of my puppies but I can save a lot of grief and money by watching out for those mushrooms. Watch your puppy on walks too. They can see things we can't. That is what happed to mine.
Fortunately, he is not as interested in mushrooms now.