We always have snacks on Sunday night and have some treats for the dogs. We were getting ready to eat these single serving Edward's pie. I had a Nestle's Crunch pie. We gave both dogs a chew stick and Jackson went upstairs with his. After I had about 3 or 4 bites of the pie, we heard Jackson upstairs crying like something horrible happened. I sprinted upstairs with my husband behind me and he had just lost his chew stick among some toys. We found it and then it dawned on me that my pie was on the coffee table. I ran downstairs and Georgie was starting to eat the pie. I hollered at her and she got down but got a tiny bit of chocolate.
Fortunately, it was not enough to hurt her but I will not make the same mistake again. She is standing there looking innocent with whipped cream on her whiskers.
For future reference, what would you look for to see they got too much chocolate and when would you call the vet??
I try to be so careful but Jackson scared us so much we did not think.
Glad to hear she is fine. I've learned with Brutus that min pins are fast when it comes to sweets. Brutus has gotten into chocolate twice now. 1st time he went down stairs I thought with my husband but it turns out hubby had went outside and I didn't hear him. Brutus thew up and was acting crazy!! he had so much energy he didn't know what to do I could feel his little heart just pounding. I called my friend a vet tech and she told me since it was more than a lalf hour to just keep an eye one him and give him some peppto bismo since he was throwing it up and bring him in in the morning if he was not acting normal. we didn't get much sleep that night. 2nd time he went downstairs alone and jumped unto the laundry basket onto the kithen counter then ontop of the t.v to get a bag of mixed light and dark kisses luckly 10-15 min later and I don't know how many kisses he(Brutus) decided to bring me a kiss and share his wealth. I screamed and ran to get IPECAC syrup to give him like my vet said. 1/4 tsp for 4lbs and Brutus started throwing lots of chocolate up it lasted about 30 min before he was normal just alittle tired. My vet said that once they tast chocolate they are like a drug addict always wanting more. It must be true cause brutus will talke it out of your mouth if he smell it. sorry to make a long story short keep IPECAC syrup in your house but you have to give it within the first 30 min.
I have heard that chocolet is very bad for dogs. why is this> is there something in that is bad for them? deadly? like how much is dangerous? bentley has found a few m&ms on the floor recentley and he ate them and i didnt really think anything about it being that they were small but then i got to wondering if small amts are bad? of coarse i didnt give them to him the kids droped them and i caught him eating one and tried to get it but it was down the hatch already. But you are soooo right on when you posted that once they have chocolet that they are addicted to it. Bentley will try to take chocolet out of my mouth and sits there jumping up at me when im eating anytihng chocolet. why is this? can a hole candy bar be deadly? im sure it depends on size but how much is very bad and you should be worried?
I called my vet about a month ago because my husband left an entire tube of hersheyettes (like M&Ms) on the table while he ran around the block to pick up our daughter. Baxter, the 15lb Bichon ate the entire tube. The vet said it might make his stools loose for a couple days but that he'd be fine. He never did have loose stools or anything from it. I he has managed to eat an m&m here and there that the kids dropped and he LOVES chocolate. If someone is eating it he wants it--BADLY.
My dog mollie ( a boxerbeagle cross) ate a whole box of truffles (off the kitchen table at the in laws). We brought her home thinking nothing (we didn't know yet) and went out. Later that night after coming home and going to bed we woke up to Mollie vomiting on our bed. Taking a closer look we saw red and green tinfoil, she had eaten christmas chocolates, wrapper and all. My bf mom called and said that the truffles were missing too. I panicked and we rushed mollie to the emergency vet. Arriving at the emergency vet we noticed that the minimum charge was 90 dollars, but I already knew what was wrong! The vet there was rude. I asked what could be done and the only thing was to give mollie charcoal. That is all the vet would be doing so why charge me 90 dollars? I bought the liquid charcoal myself and saved 50 bucks. I was told that after taking the charcoal Mollie would stop vomiting. WRONG. She threw it all up about twenty minutes after taking it. All over the carpet, bed, books,etc. I called thinking something wrong and the vet kindly mentioned that MOST dogs dont vomit, not all. Thanks for the warning. But all was good, i stayed up with Mollie on the couch all night and the next day she was back to her usual self.
IPECAC syrup is found at all drug stores it is what you give children to induce vomiting.
Yes dark chocolate is the worse. The caffine level is to high think of what starbucks does to us and multiple that by 100. that is what the level in chocolate does to dogs. I don't recall the amounts but it goes by weight of the dogs even a small dog it is still quit a bit of chocolate.
Theobromine is the ingredient in chocolate that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. It's in the same family as caffeine. One M&M ain't gonna kill any-size dog.
A long time ago, my rottweiler (RIP) ate up about a pound of milk chocolate. We rushed him to the emergency vet, only to be pretty much laughed at. The vet said it would take a lot more than a pound of milk chocolate to do damage to my 100-pound rottie. He did say, though, the dog might experience some vomiting and diarrhea. Other than being a little more hyper than usual for awhile, the dog suffered no ill effects (and no vomiting or diarrhea).