Dear Board, Sorry I haven't been on in a while, hope everyone is doing good. Tiny Red had developed a very congested cough. He does have Coccidia, could this be the cause of it? I've taken him over to his bowl for water, but he wouldn't drink. So, I gave him water through a syringe. I gave him about 3m. I also took him into the bathroom, and put the water on hot, letting him breath the steam. I have his collar off now, hoping that will help. But, nothing has. What should I do? Is it because of the coccidia? How can I help him? Thanks, LindyLou
Dear Supermommy, I have an apointment this Friday, should I move it up? I did take him to The Emergency Animal Hospital of North Texas, on Sunday, since my vet wasn't open. He just came off of the plane last Friday. He is a small dog, but I feel the breeder is wonderful. But, we all are entitled to our own opinion. Thank you so much, LindyLou
Since, the breeder only had a 3 day health guarantee you should have had your dog in the vet with in that time frame. Now, if your dog has an illness related to the puppy mill, you will be completely financially responsible for all payments to the vet.
Dear Supermommy, I took Tiny Red to the vet the second day I had him. Red Jewel Kennels is not a puppymill. I have had it with people saying that it is! It is a wonderful hobby breeder. His illness is not related to where I got him at all. He developed the cough just today. I know I am finacially reasponsible for his vet payments. Only a real low life would try to scounge money out of the breeder for an illness the pup developed after he arrived. Regards, LindyLou
LindyLou, Right now the quality of your breeder is irrelevant. Your very small puppy has developed a cough, and your description of his earlier diarrhea is troubling. Please take the puppy back to the vet before he gets any worse.
Yah, but what kind of person would buy a sick dog from a breeder? I understand you love Tiny Red, but you keep posting questions on here about his various symptons of illness. I'm sure a vet would have addressed this, if you had him to a vet. Even if someone on here is a vet, they can't give him the proper care to treat him- someone in person has to do that. At least you think you're ready to start paying for vet bills. And if this dog makes it past a month, you will be paying for treatments for the rest of its life- but at least you say you're prepared to do that. Case in point: Our weimerener, whom we got from a breeder, was sick as a pup. We used to cook rice and chicken for her when she was pup when she would go through her sick spells...and vet bills...and medicine. Eventually, she had to have cancer surgery. Twice. And then follow up appt.'s when the cancer spread, and there was nothing we could do. Then medicine at the end of her life to make her comfortable. And she didn't just die on her own (no ppl, thats just in the movies)...Another bill. We loved her, though, and she was a sweet dog, and my parents never regret doing that stuff for her, but they will never go that route again. It was a painful exp., one i will never go through again. You are just a noble person, though, buying a sick dog to recuperate for the rest of it's life, and supporting more of this person's litters who will be the same as Tiny Red. Sick for the rest of it's life. I'm not even thinking about bills now, I'm thinking about how that dog will feel- going in and out of the vet's office for this treatment and that treatment.
LindyLou, you still seem to think that RJK is a good breeder when she offers a 2 day health guarantee, your pup has coccidia, and now he has a cough. I think that you should by now realize that something is wrong because the breeder offers a 2 day health guarantee and now your pup is sick with 2 things.
If your puppy has coccidiosis then you need to start him on a Cottage Cheese diet right now. Feed only cottage cheese and nothing else! Coccidiosis-diarrhea will dehydrate your puppy very fast. I'll just be honest with you, with the symptoms you have described...the coccidia is already nearing the end stages. I certainly hope your puppy doesn't die! If he won't eat or drink on his own, your only hope is to take him into the Vet ASAP and have him started on IV fluids and combination intestinal Sulfas. Please hope you haven't waited too long. --PuPz And PS- Any breeder worth their weight will have given a preventative coccidia medicine prior to the puppy ever boarding a plane and getting exposed to all KINDS of GERMS!!!!
"Only a real low life would try to scounge money out of the breeder for an illness the pup developed after he arrived". The puppy could have a genetic health problem or could have had the problem while still with the breeder and it just surfaced now. The 3 day health guarantee, in my opinion, is saving the breeders butt because things can happen way passed 3 days even after going to the vet for the check up.
I can't help but comment here - LindyLou - are you really a breeder? I just can't understand what else makes sense. You get a sick dog from a so-called wonderful breeder and all you can do is expound upon the virtues of your breeder. Sounds a bit fishy to me.
Dear Lindy Lou, I think your dog might have the canine-flu. Many puppies catch it during or after a flight, I don't know for sure. My Golden retriever puppy has it, I just bought it from a pet store a week a go, and we've been taking him to the vets everyday eversince for a shot. He is better today. You must not wait on this.