I've never heard of waiting until they've reach maturity before. What breed is it? The vets around here recommend 6 months old. Because Baxter started lifting his leg and marking at about 4 months old, I wanted Sampson done earlier, no one around here would do it earlier unless there was a medical reason to do it earleir. --Sampson was done at 6 months old and does not lift his leg nor mark.
When we got Buddy, may he rest in peace, we had him done at 3 months because I didn't want him to lift his leg and go on all our bushes and mark everything. Our vet at that time said that 3 months was best time to do it and sure enough Buddy never lifted his leg or marked anything. That vet has retired so when I got Cody I wanted to do the same but our new vet said because he is a small dog that it was best to wait until he was 6 mos. old, so we did but half the time he squats and the other half he lifts. If i know he is just lifting to mark I will tell him "no marking" and he looks at me and puts his leg down. Cody is a Bichon Frise/Westie mix and Buddy was a Golden Retreiver/Collie mix a much bigger dog.
We neutered Max when he was 2, we didn't pick that age because of anything anybody said, we just got Maggie and wanted them both fixed. Max lifts his legs when we go on walks or out in the yard, he also squats, but it really doesn't bother me that he lifts his leg...whats the big deal about it?
I have a Black Lab and the breeder advised me that 2 years would be optimal. I guess you can do it whenever you choose especially if you are having a problem with marking. But that was the advice of my breeder.
As far as I know, lifting the leg is the sign that now the pup is producing testosterone. I gather all the things that go along with said production begin as well. That's what I was told b a friend who breeds beagles. Other than that I don't know what the big deal is either.
Maxipoo, it doesn't bother me if my dogs lift their legs or not but they can ruin bushes if they go on them a lot, the bushes turn yellow and perhaps die so if they can be fixed at an early age and that may stop them from lifting I see no reason not to get it done then, I know I am going to get them fixed any way so why not save my gardens. I wouldn't do it early if it would put the dog in danger or anything like that, we waited with Cody like the vet suggested and he lifts part of the time and squats part of the time and that is ok with me. My dog(s) health and well being come first!
***Edited By: codys mom on 9/23/2006 9:49:47 PM*** Reason: .