Hi- My fiance' and I are first time pet owners. We recently adopted a puppy (6 mos. old lab/husky) and he has been sick the entire time we've had him. When we got him we knew he had kennel cough, entropion, and chronic diarrhea, but we have moved on and on and on in health problems! In the month that we've had him, he's eaten japanese yew, acetametaphen, had hotspots, and now he has worms! I am at my wits end...we just can't get him well! he is such a good boy and we really try to take good care of him...it just seems like i am failing no matter how vigilant i am. the kennel cough is gone and the diarrhea was better (until the worms)...but i just feel so bad about everything. we are running out of funds for vet bills-he's been at least five times to the vet and once to the animal hospital (for the yew) in the month we've had him. does anyone have advice or a similar situation? i feel alone and exasperated. sigh*
My boy Riley has costs me thousands. Most of it went towards his allergies and ear infections. Which he now needs allergy shots for every 21 days.
Not to mention when he was neutered the incision came open, he had lyme disease, worms, he had a bone that got stuck in his anus, got hit by a car, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten about. I've spent my entire life savings on him... well, the few thousand I had in the bank that I saved.
Don't be discouraged though. What got me through it is looking into Rileys eyes and seeing how much he loved me. And I love him just as much back. He is worth every penny.
In the first 6 months of having Mollie, I replaced a bedroom door, carpet, taken to emergency vet for eating chocolate, had kennel cough, tore up my couch,replaced blankets (puked charcoal on blankets after emergency vet visit), numerous amounts of candles/papers/books/box of cold FX, stomach medication..I could go on if you like lol. Mollie got into alot of stuff and we were at the vet alot. She wasn't my first pet, but my first dog (one that was all mine and my responsibility).
You need to puppy proof your home. Keep anything harmful up high (dogs can get into low cupboards and drawers). Next time he has kennel cough, you don't need to see a vet, it usually clears up on its own, but if hasn't after 4 days, then contact a vet. As for worms, dogs just get them sometimes. It shouldnt' be too expensive to treat tho. Do you kennel him at home? Maybe crate train him, that will keep your mind off him getting into something when you aren't there. Keep an eye on him at all times, if he isn't in the room with you, check in on him once in a while.
Does he have all shots? Get the bordatella vaccine (kennel cough) and no worries about that again.
good luck, and if you have any specific questions, keep asking.
he actually has a myspace! i know i'm silly, but if you copy and paste this, you can see his pictuers... thanks again for sharing your tough story-you might have even had it rougher!!!http://www.myspace.com/twinpeaksagentcooper
Boglelover- yes, we actually have a crate and a kennel. we only use the crate right now though. it's in the living room, where i can see him. when he's bigger we will probably switch off. I haven't left him in his crate alone for more than three hours at a time. luckily, my schedule tethers with my fiance', so when one is not there, the other is on the way! we've TRIED to puppy proof...but of course he just keeps finding things to knaw on. the japanese yew was very scary-probably as scary as chocolate. he was not supposed to live through it...we have 5 large yew plants in the vicinity of the duplex we rent...i don't know why anyone would want something so poisonous in their yard. anyway, thanks for your comment. i know it's weird, but hearing that other people have had and made it through really hard things makes me think i can too.
The chocolate was scary, but I learnt that a dog has to ingest alot for them to die from it. The dogs recently ate two hostess chocolate cupcakes and a bag of mini rolos, the vet said all they would have is an upset stomach. Milk chocolate is not that bad for them. I still call the vet all the time for little things, just to make sure everything is ok. Nothing wrong with worrying about the small stuff, sometimes you just don't know.
I asked about the crate because I wasn't sure about the yew, lol. I guess its an outdoor plant :), ya learn something new everyday.
As for vet bills, I know they can get expensive. I just got a mastercard (like I need it lol), but it is for pet emergencies only, I keep it at home and this way I always have money in case of an accident. But then I guess you still have to pay that off, but at least I have the money just in case.
Ihave to wonder, do you have him on a heartworm preventative? Interceptor not only protects them against heartworms, which is a deadly parasite, but also from hookworms, roundworms and whipworms, which are the most common types of worms you will see. If your dog has tapeworms, he either got it from his mother during nursing, or more likely, he ate a flea while scratching himself. (These may also be the cause of his hot spots). It is approaching wintertime, so fleas are less of a problem now but top spot flea treatments like frontline plus, or advantix will protect against fleas in the future.
I know what youar egoing through, our shelter dog Bowen had a rough start in life as well! But now he's a very happy and healthy dog.
we went to the vet this morning and cooper has tape worms and round worms! poor guy. the vet gave me some medicine, so hopefully he will begin to get better. he's been dewormed so many times-at least that's what the place we got him from told us! oh well. yesterday was the first time i've given him interceptor myself-since we have only had him a month- and i guess it can take a few rounds to actually get rid of everything. sigh, sigh, sigh*
You should wash his bedding after you worm them, also make sure you do another worming in a week and then wash the beds again.
I hope this wormer works, I had troble with Blaze and I was finding round balls in her soft poop as I took the water hose after it. The vets wormer didn't help so I got some cattle wormer at the feed store and that got rid of that tape worm. The round balls where her intestins that the worms where eating away on. It looked just like small eggs and was loaded with them.
That was so gross! It made me sick!
She is doing really well now. but it took awhile. I worked with her worms for a few months. I'm not sure if I was getting rid of them and she was getting right back??
Washing her bedding and worming all the animals did the trick with a good wormer that worked.
Good luck, she will get better!
***Edited By: WileyBlaze on 9/27/2006 1:59:07 PM*** Reason: add
WileyBlaze we borrowed a steam cleaner...so i will take your advice on the bedding. the vet said that tape worms come from flies or fleas-and if they eat either they can reinfect themselves over and over again...i don't know if maybe that's what your dog was doing? this puppy loves bugs! no more yard fun:( i'm glad that your puppy finally got better. i hope it isn't that tough for us!!!
Our pup showed signs of coccidia infection on the third day after we brought him home. We started him on meds ASAP, and he was able to fight off that infection within a few days.
However, his immune system went wacky, or something. His red blood cell count was low and dropping. The vets at the office weren't able to explain it. We tried everything, but we weren't able to save him.
We only had him 2 weeks, but we had all grown so attached. :-(