We have been luckier than that but did have two trips to the emergency vet with Jackson because he got ahold of bad mushrooms. And he had a cold right after we got him but it was mild just needed some medicine. He was our 2nd and a lot more trouble than the first.
cooper is really sick right now. his stools are like water...today, the vet put him on metronidazole, lactobacillus, and endosorb... says we have to wait until his stools are firm to give the tape worm medicine. i just don't know what to do! we keep the yard clean and don't let him eat anything outside (if possible)...he has been sick since the day we got him... now my fiance is wanting to talk about giving him back. i'm so upset right now.
My God! If I had read this before I got Maggie, I never would have got a dog! I must say, we have been very blessed. We've had Maggie 1 1/2 years now, and she has never been sick. She gets her shots on a regular basis, we use Frontline, Heartgard, and she had her lyme disease shots. We also keep a close eye on her, so she hasn't even had a chance to destroy much of anything! She chewed up a little wooden sign that a stuffed bear was holding (and it wasn't even in her reach-one of the cats knocked it down, lol). The worst thing she did is mangle a pair of my husband's reading glasses. I kept telling him not to let them lay around!!! Oh yeah-and she shredded a sheet on the bed (on my husband's watch, of course) and she completely chewed through the cord on the electric blanket. (fortunately, it wasn't plugged in!) I guess maybe she's done more damage than I thought!
In our case, it really helped that the shelter provided a month's worth of pet insurance with the adoption. We maxed that out.
We *tried* to balance the emotion with the practical, but I'm not sure how we did. After a year's time, we've come to accept that we got "a lemon."
You and your S.O. need to discuss the max dollar amount you can spend on this dog's health, realizing that you *might* be throwing good money after bad. (And that's not considering the emotional drain, as well.) He might be right -- you might have exceeded that amount already.
nodogyet- you might be right...we really do need to weigh things out. it is so hard to think past the emotion. we love him of course, but he is a lemon...if i had all the money in the world, i would pay for everything without a thought. it's too bad that money is such a big player...his health problems are endless, but he is a wonderful dog. and we just wanted to give him a happy home. thanks for writing and being honest. it's something hard that i needed to hear.
Cooper bit me this morning...it left a big bruise and broke the skin on my arm...we are going to return him. i'm waiting for the pet place to call me back. i know he'll be taken care of there (they are a no kill facility). he is vomiting/still diarrhea, and still so sick with everything else. he needs a place that can monitor and take care of him in a way that i just can't. i appreciate everyone's comments and support. it really helped me. this is so tough, but i know it's the right thing for everyone.
I am so sorry for your problems, but in case your vet does not warn you, I will. Once you have returned him to someone who can care for his extremely expensive medical issues, please wait at least a year before getting another dog. When I was living overseas, I had a dog with parvo and was not told to wait after the pup died in my arms. And ended up going through it all over again only to find out that I probably infected the second dog by not waiting long enough. Somethings live in the yard for up to one year. Also get rid of anything you used for him. This is why I will never ever buy used doggy supplies.
we got to bring our baby home today!! the pet connection was really understanding and took great care of him. they suspect that he was having an allergic reaction to his Interceptor and that he is missing something in his diet. His stools look normal and he is doing really well. i am so relieved and happy. i am so grateful that they took such great care of him and allowed us to take him home! we are excited and hopeful (finally)!
What wonderful news! You are extremely fortunate that your no-kill shelter was able (and willing) to help you out. I'm just sorry that you didn't go to them for help earlier.
When I bought my Cato (now deceased) from a breeder, I was not told how very very important to keep a poodle's ear hair plucked. He got endless ear infections which had the strange effect of making him eat everything in sight.
He ate an entire bowl of Halloween candy (chocolate), including the paper wrappings. He ate soap, q-tips, cheesecake, hot chocolate mix, spaghetti sauce, hand cream, shampoo, etc. etc. He ate a year's supply of heartworm medicine by taking my purse off of shelf, unzipping the purse, removing the packaging, and then extracting the medicine from the blister packs.
The worst was the rat poison. We still don't know where he found it (an escape artist, too), but he almost died. I slept on the kitchen floor next to him for 24 hours and gave him ice chips every few hours, which he vomited. We force-fed him for days. He took Vitamin K tablets. He finally pulled through.
He also got into a bottle of my medicine, which could also have killed him. I had to pour hydrogen peroxide down his throat (and my other poodle's as well), watch him vomit on the bathroom floor and then count the pills to see if I got them all!
I do think that all of this shortened his life, he died at 13, but worth it, yes!