I agree i have had to many dogs on our farm who have been poisoned due to the wild dog & fox baits, i imagine rat poison would be similar to this, it is a very cruel thing to see. The humane little boxes don't work very well but the sticky pads seem to. If all else fails, get a cat, that will sort them out
Eating a poisoned mouse would not do anything to a large dog. there is not enoughs poison in a mice to do any harm. most likely there is not enough for small dogs and cats either. they need to eat a lot of it to do anything. I had a dog eat a whole poison cube once with no obvious problem. the only way I even found out about it was when i saw undigested bits of it in its stool. just hide the poison in places where pets cant get to and pick up the dead mice few days ater.
the only drawback i see with the poision is that the mice often die in places you cant reach and cant see so the stinch of their rotting bodies will stink up the place for weeks.
small price to pay in my opinion. I prefer that then to be eating cereal, and suddenly realizing that the floating black stuff in the bowl is not part of it.