i was at my parents because they have a large fenced yard where cooper can run...my siblings were there, and my brother (who is 25) fed my dog a handful of m&m's before i could reach them (i was running across the yard). my siblings were laughing even though i was screaming and sobbing...i took my puppy home and looked up chocolate--also called medvet--it takes a large dose? i'm so upset. i want to call the police or something. cooper is sleeping now and they told me to just watch him for signs. i just got him better...sorry for incoherence- i am still crying...
thank you pope...i looked at that link and i feel better. i think he'll be alright. he's asleep now, i'll just watch him. i guess i'm most upset about the idea that my family would try to hurt my dog. i'm glad it takes a larger amount- he is 50lbs, so i believe he will be ok.
Your brother is a jerk for even attempting it though if he wasn't fully aware of the effects. He COULD have killed your dog so I would direct whatever emotion you were feeling....towards a grown man who knew better.
yes, he knows that chocolate is poisonous, and he knows how much i've been through with cooper already...i wish i wouldn't have taken cooper to my folks at all- he just loves to run, and their yard is nice, big, and fenced. i have no intention of dealing with my brother anytime soon. anyone who would hurt an animal or person intentionally is not my family.
Maybe you should have a chat with your parents about it. If they tell him he is unwelcome maybe he'll think twice before hurting a dog. If they don't back you up in this (if it were me) I'd say the grass can be just as green in a smaller yard or on your walks with Cooper.
***Edited By: arachyd on 11/5/2006 4:06:10 PM*** Reason: .
I am so sorry this happend to you. I know what brothers can be like since I have a couple who are not fond of dogs. It has gotten to the point where I no longer feel I can bring my dogs to my parents house for fear of how they treat my dogs.
I hope your dog is feeling better. It usually takes quite a bit of chocolate to be lethal though I can understand your concern! Again I am so sorry. There is nothing worse than a family member doing something so terrible to something you love! Hugs to your dog!
Do not worry.... only large amounts are truely deadly. I saw on one of those Emergency Vet shows on animal planet a golden retriever who ate like 1 or 2lbs of chocolate and was on the danger. So it really has to be a bad amount. unfortunaly I am guilty of giving my dog a peanut M&m or two... well actually my father lol. Bad bad bad bad don't do it. but hope ur dogs ok! :]
cooper is fine...i am relieved. he's not going around my family anymore...i don't care if it takes a ton or one piece of chocolate, my brother knows it's poisonous and my family thinks it's funny...thanks for all the advice!