HI Everyone. I seperate my males from my girls when I do not want a litter. Well, Murphy went over a 5 1/2 foot fence to get to Hazel. Appaerently I need a 6 foot stockade fence. They did achieve lock one time. Hazel just had a litter on July 1. I do NOT want her to have one this soon. She is still in her rest period. Plus, I have another pregnant female that will be due on Jan. 6th. I only do one litter at a time so I can concentrate my full attention on momma and puppy care. I live with my girls until the puppies are weaned. Just in case! Anyway - my vet said he can give her a shot, 10 days from first lock. This will prevent a pregnancy. Now - I run a pro life ministry, this is very difficult for me and my husband. Doc says I am a nut, she is beyond healthy and recovered, but I disagree. I think she needs at least 6/7 months more off before she has another litter. Has anyone ever had this shot for their pregnant dogs? Thank you for any offered advise.
You probably want to put tops on the kennels. Are your dogs in kennels? This way if they do climb they can't get over.
Second, I'm not too sure about the shot, I've never dealt with it personally. However I will say this. Pro life for humans should not carry over to dogs. There are not millions of babies sitting being put to sleep on a daily basis because there aren't enough homes....
No the millions of babies sit in adoption homes where 3 people try and care for 30 or more children because their mothers abandonded them so they can not be adopted out because they can not get the legal rights disolved. A few are able to be adopted, but some countries have very strict laws for perspective parents that few can meet them.
If you don't want the shot, then you can either put tops on the kennel, or you can keep the dog in heat inside in a crate and walk her outside on a leash when she's got to go potty. That's probably the easiest thing to do. NEver leave her unattended outside, even in her kennel, because 'life finds a way' as they say.
The shot is almost non-existant in the united states because it almost always cause pyrometria, a serious and life threatening infection of the uterus. Next time crate your females and this will not happen.
Where can I get good information on pyrometria? I do not have a top on my kennel. I only seperate my dogs during heat cycles. Otherwise, they are house dogs. I did not mean to start a debate on between those who are pro abortion and those who are pro life. I am just concerned about my dog.
I just want good information on this shot. I do NOT want to jeopadize my Hazel. She is the best dog.
***Edited By: FergusMagee on 11/11/2006 3:13:37 PM*** Reason: chan
She wasn't unsupervised. I had her out in our open field for a run and my male went over the fence. She is NEVER out of my site and even goes to work with me. However, I have recently developed asthma and could not run fast enough to get control of her before he got to her. My dogs are my life and I do not want to jeopardize her. I was spelling it incorrectly. I will try again with the correct spelling. Maybe I will just have 2 litters at once. I will not jeopardize my Hazel, she is too important ot me.
I have talked to my vet about the shot, NOT because one of my dogs needed it, my boys and girls are kept seperate, and when my girl comes in heat she is in a crate in the back room with the door shut, no oops in my program, everything is planned out to the last detail. But my vet said that the shot has a lot of negative side effects, including making the dog sterile(sp?). I would not recommend the shot, I would say either spay her now before the puppies devolop, or deal with the accident and let her have the litter. I would choose to let her have the litter if it was my dog.
One of my Golden retrievers knocked up one of my labs once. I must have called every vet in the phone book and not even one wanted to give the shot. most said they got nothing they can give to abort a litter. some said they could give a shot to try to abort the litter but they wont do it because it is dangerous and fails more times then it works. only real option i was left with was to spay the female or have mutts.
if so many vets are against this shot, there is probably a good reason for it.
I breed Dobermans. I am in the process of having a room for pups and dogs built outside of our home. We are fencing in an area outside of our already fenced in acres. I can't seem to get any solid information on the shot itself, just the infection, which has me scared to death. Hazel is everything to me. And because I have this stupid asthma, I can't run or move fast anymore, I couldn't cover the distance between me and her in time. Stupid me, I know. My heart is just sick. I am SO careful with my dogs. I have an excellent reputation. Many of you have been to my website to see my pampered pooches. They are my life. I do not have children, only Dobiekids. I can not imagine putting Hazel's life in jeopardy. I just finished reading all your threads. Sorry, I have been up most of the night. I can't speak to my vet until Monday. But I do not want her spayed, I am not ready to retire her. She is a great mom and throws beautiful puppies. And I am almost freakish about the amount of time I spend with my moms. Their diet alone would break most people! Thank you all again for all the information. Looks like January will be a busy month for Lavelle Dobermans. I am not give her a shot for my convenience and stupidity. I have a large waiting list for pups, I have no worries about finding them all great homes. It is just that she just had a litter in July.
***Edited By: FergusMagee on 11/12/2006 8:37:50 AM*** Reason: add information
I hate hearing that people keep their dogs in kennels. Forcing an animal to live it's life in a cage is cruel. I would never do that to my dogs, and I also breed. I would just let her have the litter and rest her for a year. There is also this great invention called diapers that you can put on you female dogs when they are in heat and you do not want to breed them. I advice you try them!