I am a first time member here and I have a serious problem. I have a 18lb cocker spaniel and out of the blue his muzzle swelled up. No other symptoms, no itchiness, no pain and he's acting fine. I had my boyfriend go out and but children's benadryl but I am not sure if I should give it to him. Any vets out there that can help???
Dogs can have small doses of Benadryl which helps with allergic reactions. The swelling could also be from a clogged or infected salivary gland. If the swelling doesn't go down soon take the dog to the vet.
***Edited By: arachyd on 11/12/2006 8:58:30 PM*** Reason: sp
benadryl is safe to give to your dog. the dosage is 1/2 - 1 mg per pound of body weight. an 18 lb cocker should get 3/4 of an adult benadryl or 1 1/2 of a childrens benadryl. childrens benadryl is 12.5 mgs per pill and an adult is 25 mgs per pill.
watch for any signs of trouble breathing and the rest of his head and neck could swell also if he is having an allergic reaction to something.
MAKE SURE THE BENADRYL does not contain anything BUT diphendyramine!!! no acetaminophen. it is poisonous...we accidentally gave cooper benedryl cold and sinus. we are lucky to still have a dog. also, you should check with a vet before giving a dog any people meds. even a quick call to an animal hospital- they might be able to give you a good dosage. we give cooper 25mgs. regular benedryl twice daily for allergies and he is 50lbs... dosage depends on weight.
***Edited By: agentcooper on 11/12/2006 10:50:39 PM*** Reason: x