I just found out that my maltipoo is allergic to fungus and molds. Since I live in Florida, this is a continual problem. The vet suggested that I start with allergy shots, gradually building up to a maintenance level. Has anyone out there had this same problem? Do the shots work? Any feedback on the vet's suggestion?
My dog gets the shots just like that... also allergic to mold and other things. For him I haven't noticed it working at all after a year. But other people I've talked to say it works on their dog. it may be because Riley has SO many allergies. I'd say try it out with your dog.
I have a puggle who has allegy problems...we haven't quite narrowed it down, but I am beginning to think it is environmental. His vet has suggested the $600 allergy testing and shots routine, but in doing research, it looks like it might be effective in 25 to 30% of dogs. Not real promising in my opinion. What kind of symptoms does your dog exhibit? Have you tried anything yet? Have you found success with anything????? Please share....I would love some help/insight myself for my little scratcher.
I've spent most of today doing research on the internet. For inhalant allergies (pollen, mold, dust mites), the choices are shots, steriods (which I would never use because they affect all the organs in the body) and antihistamines. I am starting to use children's benedryl. It's a red liquid and you can get it in generic form at WalMart. Since Ellee is under 10 pounds, the vet said to give her 1/2 tsp. twice/day.
Ellee's symptoms are frequent scratching at her ears, under her chin and lots of paw licking. The blood test to discover what she was allergic to cost $170. Going the shots routine can take six months to a year before improvement, if any, takes place and the success rate is about 70-75 percent.
I think rather than subjecting her to continual shots, I will start with the antihistamine treatment. If this is not successful, then I'll consider the shot therapy.
It would be so helpful for forum members familiar with this problem to offer advice. Many thanks for your replies!
I would rather give the benadryl capsules....even in a small dog, the doseage would be half a pill twice a day and it would be more cost effective than liquid. Dogs therapeutic levels of benadryl is higher than what is recommended in a human. 1 milligram per pound of body weight is the canine dosage. your dog will be sleepy for a few days until it gets used to the medication. when the percentage of a benefit is 25 %, i would not got that route, i.e. the shots....