I am looking for a family dog. Not a show dog, I refuse to put animals on display like that.
I currently have three children and we are an emergency home for foster care. The kids we get are always traumatized and have read numerous studies about animal healing. However I need to be sure that the dog we choose has the temperment for children.
Any suggestions? We will not adopt from a pound or shelter unless we know the full history.
There are many breeds of dogs that are good with children. Who will be caring for the dog? How will it be housetrained? Where will it stay during the day, and will it be left alone for any length of time? Do you have a fenced yard?
In fact, that may be the kind of place you should get in touch wtih regarding what your desires are for a special needs dog. If they cant help you, they can at least probably point you in the right direction.
BTW I'm not sure why but I sense you don't approve of dog shows? I'm curious to know why not? My dog is a family pet 99% of the time and when we take him to dog shows, he has the best time of his life.
***Edited By: Minniyar on 12/11/2006 7:08:01 PM*** Reason: add
I agree that an adult rescue dog would probably be the ticket. I would stay away from puppies. I'm sorry that you have something about "show dogs". We have show dogs and as Minniyar says, they are pets 99% of the time and show off the other 1% of the time. Our dogs are treated as well as our children....Plus they love riding to the show... Good luck w/your search. And thanks for taking in children who need love and attention.
Thanks for the web site. I'll look furthur into getting a service pup.
What concerns me is that we have such a large variety of needs. Aside from my immediate family we have had children come in here with something as simple as a bump on their knee to severe mental retardation due to physical abuse at another's hands. We have been doing foster care for 3 years now and I have seen my worst nightmares come true walking up my sidewalk. So yeah I am thinking a service pup would be the best route to go.
Off subject tid-bit: if you are able, word used with immeasurable amount of meaning, at least look into foster care. Sometimes these wonderful children just need a hug.
I will be doing the primary care, with little hands to help, stay at home mom. Pup will be thankful when we finally load up to go to the grocery store with the amount of activity around here.
***Edited By: cujo4u on 12/11/2006 7:57:33 PM*** Reason: spelling
honestly i think a rottweiler is a good dog for kids, becuz my aunt has a labrador retriever(2 yrs), a german shepherd mix(7 yrs), and a rottweiler(9 mnths). And to tell u the truth, the rottweiler is more mature than the lab. My aunt has 3 kids also, they're 3 yrs, 6 yrs, and 9 yrs, and the rotty is very gentle with them and behaves well. Now that my aunt has owned a rottweiler, shes only gonna get rottys from now on, since she finds that there such gentle dogs.
rotts are great with kids but not everyone sees it that way. Some people see them like most people see pitts and she may not be able to do foster care with one. I love rottys My uncle had one and It was a great dog, Love his little girl even saved her life once.
We have a boston and he is great with kids.
Labs are good but they seem to stay pups longer then alot of dogs. read marley and me its a book about a guy and his lab.
Goldens are good with kids from what I have seen. My cusion had one when she was little and that dog put up with ear chewing when she was teething, Tail pulling, being sat on, You nae it she did it and he sat there wagging his tail.
Shih tzus seem good with kids. My mom had one and he was dumb as a rock but loved my girls. My friend has some and they are great with her 3 boys.