So, after watching Bella today.. and her not eating/drinking. I decided to take her to another vet. Thank god I did...
The other vet, prescribed me two pills... and that was it. No blood work, exam.. NOTHING. I should have known, when they couldn't say anything to me except "She has an infection". Turns out she was prescribed things that this new vet says "she doesn't even use anymore they're so old". Go figure...
This vet did a full exam. Her body temp was 96 (Normal is 100), and her white blood count was 29,000 (normal between 11,000-17,000). Also, she is dehydrated.
She felt her body (had the other vet did an exam, they would have noticed this) and in her belly is a ball about the size of a golf ball. She said it could be three things.. A bladder infection, an infected uterus or an obstruction. They put her on fluids, and kept her overnight.. in the morning they're doing a radiograph/x-ray. She said she looks good, and had it been a poisoning or parvo (even though she's vaccinated) that she would have been dead by now.. that she looks good, she's just worried about her low body temperature. She's resting good with an iv and a heating pad in the vets as we speak..
If something happens overnight to my dog, I fully intend on taking action against that other vet. In my opinion.. that is falty practice. To not do a full exam on a dog that has an emergency.. if they had even done a SLIGHT exam they would have felt a lump that big in her belly.. When I took her, they took her from me.. and I didn't even get to go back and observe. With the new vet, I got to watch everything.
I'm a nervous wreck, please pray for Bella and her recovery. :)
The vet called this morning and said that Bella was doing "relatively well" but.. the radiograph this morning didn't show any mass in her belly, and when she felt.. she didn't feel anything, either.
She wanted to keep her again tonight, and give her IV's with sugar since she hasn't eaten still. She thinks maybe it was just an infection in the gastrointestinal tract or bladder.. and the antibiotics over night caused it to go down.
I'm visiting her in just a few hours. :) I'll let everybody know.
They did exploratory surgery this morning, sadly.. she's in advanced renal failure. The vet said to give her overnight, that there's a 1 in 500 chance that she could bounce back.. but if not, tomorrow morning I'll be having her put to sleep to end her misery.
I'm beside myself, I really just... I have no idea what to do. The vet says that it could be genetics, and I'm contacting my breeder right after I post this. Or that she could have gotten into antifreeze... somewhere. The only way that would have happened is if someone actually threw it over my fence...
What do you guys think? Do you think It's possible that It's genetic? Even though she's only 10 months old? or would lean more towards the possibility of antifreeze poisoning? I'm having such a hard time imagining her not being here.
I would think it is more genetic. I don't see anyone throwing antifreeze over your fence. (it could happen, but I doubt it) The breeder is more that likely going to want you to have an autopsy done to determine the cause. I am so sorry.
I agree that its most likley genitic not antifreeze, unless she goes in the garage and some was spilt with out you knowing. I know some people to try to kill dogs with antifreeze but it it was throughen over the fence im sure you would have dead grass, a wet spot, something you would notice.
I do agree that if she does not make it you should find out what happend, if she does id still talk to the breeder about it and tell her you cant think of any way it could be antifreeze.
Could they test her for anitfreeze? if they can you may want them to that way you know for sure and you can find out were it came from if thats what it is.
I'm gonna trade this life for fortune and fame I'd even cut my hair and change my name
What is the history behind Bella? I can't remember what breed she is and where you got her and what made you take her to the emergency vet. I have just seen this thread so I didn't know if I just missed one that you posted earlier than this one. I'm so sorry about her. I just can't imagine how hard this is on you. I hope she ends up beating the odds.
i am severly confused here. if they did bloodwork to determine that she has an infection, they should have known right there she was in renal failure. that would show up on bloodwork as high creatnine and phosphorous levels. they dont go from normal to failure overnight like that unless it is due to poisoning. and what made them go and do an exploratory surgery on her ? did they make the conclusion she was in renal failure after they opened her up ?anesthesia is the very last thing she needs to have done if she is in renal failure.
my prayers are with you and bella ~hugs~
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.