I just joined the list and wanted to tell you about our miniature schnauzer Smokey. He was only 5 and he died 2 weeks ago from accidental mouse poisoning. We didn't recognize the symptoms of the poisoning so by the time we got him to the vet and a Vit K shot, it was too late, he died the next day. He started showing sickness with a sore front leg. It was like he had something in it. Then the next night his back leg was swollen. So by the 3rd day we took him to the vet and she ran a bunch of tests. His blood never clotted even after 30 min. It was really sad, he died on my husband's lap. He was such a great therapy dog for him. I don't know how soon we should get a new puppy. My hubby is so depressed, I'm hoping a new puppy would help him. So if your dog is acting sick, I hope your vet checks his clotting factor. We live on a farm, so we have to hide the mouse poison under things so he doesn't find it, but this time he did.
How sad. Thank you for telling us the signs to look for. I would get another dog pronto, but thats me. Maybe your husband would be like me, and want another to love quickly. New dog does not mean te one that past away is forgotten. Far from it. My mom in law is a schnauzer lover too. She is on her third one.
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, must have never owned a dog!!!!!!!!!!!
There are boxes made just for this very purpose. You put the squares of poison in the box & it straps shut. There are holes that only a rat can get in. They are about $15 each. You can keep moving them around. You can get them at any farm store & I'm not sure about Lowes etc. but TSC Con Agra or any of those have them.
As for getting another dog - not everyone is ready right away. With some, it can take months. I would also suggest getting an entirely differnet breed.
I think we will have to start buying some other type of mouse poisoning before we get another dog. I hate to go thru this heartache again. It's still so lonely at our house. The grandkids were over yesterday for Easter, and they all talked about missing Smokey. Even our 1yr old granddaughter, she loved him and he loved her. :( thanks for caring....
Glue traps are pretty useless. You have to create a reason for the mouse to step on it, and then you have a living mouse stuck to a piece of plastic and sticky glue that potentially has to dehydrate and die on it's own..
Standard mouse traps are a lot more humane than that.
Suebgone, it does not help to have the boxes to contain the poison. If a mouse ingests the poison, and then exits the box, and the dog then ingests the mouse, the dog is still poisoned. You should never use any type of poison around dogs, cats or other animals who can access the poison or rodents exposed to the poison. Glue board do not work in a ranch invironment, because they catch more hay and shavings than anything. I use a metal wind up trap to live catch the mice. The mouse enters the box and a flipper flips the mouse into a holding area. I know it is awful, but I use the mice I catch to help train the pups to hunt the rodents. Even with 14 terriers hunting and 6 metal traps we can not keep up with the mouse population. As long as they don't gain access to the food bins, I just accept it as a part of ranch life.
He's your friend,your partner,your defender your dog.You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to worthy of such devotion