I just took my puppy to the vet today. She has a UTI with crystals. I understand what a UTI is but what is the part with crystals? She gave me Clavamox to use for the next two weeks and then I have to give her another urine sample to see how she is doing. I was wondering if the UTI goes away can I give her AZO tablets to try to keep future UTI's away? And anyone with advice would be great!!
there are a few different types of crystals that dogs can get and one is breed specific to dalmations. the link i provided talks about one particular type of crystal ... struvite. the link is actual to an article about bladder stones, but crystals are what precede bladder stones :
Struvite is the name given to the crystal composed of magnesium, ammonium, and phosphate. (Struvite is also occasionally referred to as triple phosphate due to an old erroneous belief that the phosphate ion was bonded to 3 positive ions instead of just magnesium and ammonium.) Struvite crystals are not unusual in normal urine and are usually of no consequence but when they are present in very large amounts together with a Staph or Proteus bladder infection, crystals can congeal into stones. It all begins with a substance called urea.
Urea is a waste product generated in the metabolism of protein and it is removed from the body via excretion in urine. When urine is infected with bacteria that are able to digest urea, urea is broken down into ammonia (NH3). Ammonia in water ionizes into ammonium (NH4+). Ammonia is toxic to the cells of the bladder wall and its presence generates inflammation (though the infection present also generates inflammation as well). The proteins released in the inflammatory reaction form a matrix which the struvite crystals use to form an actual stone. The reaction takes place only in an alkaline pH but the presence of ammonia creates just the alkaline pH needed for stone formation.
Bacteria capable of digesting urea are called urease positive bacteria and in most cases we are talking about Staphylococci. In dogs, the general rule is: No infection, no bladder stone.
I too have a 3 month old puppy with crystals - Our vet gave the same medication and put him on prescription science diet canned (six) 1/2 can a day until all cans are gone and then feed dry Science Diet puppy food. Also only distilled water to drink. I went to get the Science Diet dry food and the store recommended another brand saying it is better than Science Diet for helping the crystals not to form. Does the diet really help the formation of crystals. I have a schnauzer and I have read that stones are prevelant in this breed although I have had 3 schnauzers in the past that didn't have these problems. Please Help!!! Thank you tcook.
stones are common in schnauzers from what i have seen. if you have the names of the foods that you are looking at it would help determine whether or not they are good. there are several diets that prevent crystal formation and that also dissolve any current crystals that an animal may have. however i have never heard of an over the counter food that does either. there are a few foods, mainly cat foods i have seen, that promote urinary tract health and are supposed to work for that problem, but i do not know whether they truly do or not.
science diet is one of the crummiest foods out there and i would try and find something else to feed.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
I do beleive that the food doesn't actually stop the formation of Crystals,The food has a formulation that makes dogs drink more water (high sodium levels)Thus this will cause the dog to urinate more often.I don't think there is another food that matches the formulation for this condition.
the day before yesterday I took my 17 week old american bulldog female (30 lbs) to the vet for her last set of shots (including rabbies, deworm, heartworm). When we got home she throw up, and came down with all the symptoms of UTI. yesterday I took an urine sample to the vet, and the results came back today with all the signs of UTI (white cell production, a little blood, and very diluted urine, as my puppie's been very thirsty). I was told by the vet that it is very very unusual for puppies to have UTI, and the vet's diagnostic was not completely conclusive ("most likely, but not sure" the puppie has UTI). She sent me home with CLAVAMOX 250 mg twice a day for 3 weeks. Is this response (not conclusive) + prescription what I should expect in this situation? Should I get a another opinion?