HELP! Our 2 1/2 year old Wheaten named Marti has been very ill. This is our 3rd experience with these symptoms in the last 3 months. She hemorrhages from her bottom, NOT bloody diarrhea - It is pure blood. It non stop oozes out and every hour or so she drops a large amount (about one cup or so) sometimes it sprays out with force. She has a history with vomiting, occasionally tremors in one of her front legs. Recently has trouble sitting without repositioning herself. She has a highly elevated bilirubin and another elevated liver test (not sure which). Last week the episodes began again and it was the worst lasting on and off for 4 days. We had her hospitalized - vets ran many tests such as parasites, bacterial, addisons (typical and a-typical) and more. Everything was negative. We have been told the only tests left to run that could explain these symptoms are endoscopy and biopsy's. We are devastated because we believe these results will end in a "terminal" diagnosis. We have spent over $6,000 in the last 3 months on her care, testing & hospitalizations. We have run out of resources and can't afford these expensive tests. These episodes are emotionally draining for my family, in my opinion the vets and specialists seem perplexed by her condition. We love her and at the moment she is lethargic and refusing water although she is eating and we are saturating her food with water...on and off throughout the day she seems to bounce back into her "old" self. She does not seem to be in any pain except tired and depressed. We have mentioned the food recall and the docs. seem to shrug that off. She is so young and an important part of our family. Has anyone had any experience with these symptoms? We are contemplating putting her down if she experiences another episode but are looking for any insight first. Please help.
has your vet tested her for anaplasmosis ? it is a tick borne disease. each and every symptom you have described is EXACTLY what a friends dog is going through right now and he has anaplasmosis. he is being treated with doxycycline and is doing pretty good right now. he was diagnosed almost 2 weeks ago now and finally is turning the corner and getting better.
if your vet has not done so already, i would ask them to run a tick panel on your dog, specifically checking for this. please read this link to explain the disease a little better :
vets all over are in denial of the food tainting- we lost our dog in Feb with similar symptoms only her neurological issues led to damage- shakey, unstable, off balance, front paws when going up steps would fold in rather than keep out straight- then sluggish, weaker, tremors and then her neck began to twitch. If you gave your baby any of the recalled food at any point, then act on it and do not allow the vets to shrug this off. Demand a flush, treat as poisoning. This sounds similar not that it is posioning but in the event this pup consumed any, then it is enough to say it is VERY possible. Did they run a urine test? PH high is one sign, liver high is another, and blood test also will show something though in our case, it did not. Check the new recent recalls because even Beneful is in question and has been for many many months. I have all the latest recalls and news on our community site http://www.chtogether.com
In Memory Of Our Brandy Feb 16,2007 Menu Foods Took her life and ours away from us all.
I admire your efforts to save this dog. Please don't feel guilty if you run out of options and have to make that difficult decision. I had to do that for Buckwheat, my donkey last fall...Hopefully, one of these posters will have the answer for you. I don't, but wish I did.Good luck
Thank you for all your suggestions and concern. I will call the hospital to find out about the tick thing. I imagine with all Marti has been through it has already been tested for - but it can't hurt to double check. The last 2 days she is much more responsive and even taking some water and ice cubes (her favorite!) I spoke to the vet last Friday and they seem to have very little hope.