The left side of his face looked slightly swollen to me, underneath his eye. I had been watching it for a week or so, and finally this morning it was prominent enough that I thought the vet would be able to see it too. Brought him in, and the gumline over a left, top premolar is receding. The tooth probably has to go. He's got an appointment on Monday for x-ray and extraction if needed.
Not really a surprise. That tooth has been fractured slightly for several years, but it's a big tooth and the vet felt it was appropriate to wait-and-see what happens because even when we first adopted him he was already missing some teeth. He just had the opposite premolar removed in March after the root canal failed, along with 2 other smaller teeth.
What I find kind of funny is that I was sick recently too, so now we're BOTH on antibiotics.
When Bode had the three teeth extracted he felt fine after maybe two or three days. But he was eating only canned food for two weeks. I'm guessing this will be the same.
He likes the canned food so much more than dry, I almost wonder if he thinks it's worth the sacrifice? ;) But he's not allowed any toys or chews for a while either, so he can become a bit of a pest. Last time he kept pulling toys and bones from hiding places and I kept on having to take them away.